Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Position on R20 with Canon 8-15mm lens on Full Frame Camera?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Position on R20 with Canon 8-15mm lens on Full Frame Camera?

HI
    Am am glad to join the 360 community. I have been told by the dealer that I should shoot my full frame camera with the 8-15mm lens at 8mm with the R20 head (as suggested by GOOGLE).
    BUT I have read that people suggest for better quality I must shoot at 12mm. But what is the correct setting for the R20 head in mm to have the correct no parallax point?
    I am looking forward to try 360 photos and virtual tour.

Shooting with the lens at 12 mm will give you a higher resolution Equirectangular (panorama) than shooting at 8 mm, but will require more shots round.
    I shoot with an 8 mm fisheye and a 10.5 mm fisheye on an FX body on an R1 (essentially the same as an R20) at +7.5 and 4 shots round has good overlap for Control Point generation, but if there is movement in the subject (e.g. people, animals, wind in the trees) I shoot 6 round which gives good overlap for Control Point generation and enough overlap to make best use of the Mask option in PTGui.
    For this arrangement I have the rig set at 22, which may be a good starting point for you.

To give you an idea, the 8 mm lens gives me an Equirectangular of approximately 10,500+ x 5,250+ and the 10.5 mm 13,500+ x 6,700+ pixels.

You might find that shooting at 12 mm leaves a hole at the zenith, even with the camera tilted upwards, so it is probably worth experimenting with the lens at say 10 mm as well.
    To get the highest resolution and close the zenith the image from the lens needs to just touch the top and bottom of the frame in portrait mode.

The correct setting for the R20 rail is to have the NPP (No Parallax Point) on the vertical axis of rotation, which will vary with the focal length chosen.
    Also the NPP will move relative to the vertical axis of rotation when the R20 is tilted as shown in http://www.hugh360.co.uk/panoramas/t...rrallax-point/

See the following link for more information for determining the NPP:
    https://www.nodalninja.com/forum/for...ng-nodal-point
    Note that the NPP needs to be more accurately found if the subject is close to the cameras, its position is less important if the subject is say 3 or more meters away from the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Palle View Post
      HI
      Am am glad to join the 360 community. I have been told by the dealer that I should shoot my full frame camera with the 8-15mm lens at 8mm with the R20 head (as suggested by GOOGLE).
      BUT I have read that people suggest for better quality I must shoot at 12mm. But what is the correct setting for the R20 head in mm to have the correct no parallax point?
      I am looking forward to try 360 photos and virtual tour.
      Experience tells NPP error of 1mm has little effect in most situations. The stitchers have some flexibility in blending the seam.
      Chances are you can use 8mm setting.

Nick
      Fanotec
      We listen. We try harder.

Comment

Working...
      X