Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feedback and Suggestions for the User Interface (UI)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As the motor-unit doesn't change that often, wouldn't it be better to hide this setting to /test or /config? What would happen if changed by accidant? Could i destroy the motor with false arguments?

Comment

Will be automatic detection at some point, no danger to motor if you change it by accident, it only affects the total number of steps for a full turn.
      It have some applications regarding the full steps, I'll explain them other time with some example given.

cheers,
      Dorin
      1. Mecha it possible.
      2. Mecha it easy.
      3. ..

Comment

Whilst I don't really have any major problems with the current interface. I'm wondering why you didn't choose to develop a 'native' mobile app rather than embedding the app within mecha. This way you would have been developing for Android , IOS and UWP (not in any particular order) and had the advantage of providing native look and feel.

UWP probably doesn't rate so you would be developing for Android and IOS. Xamarin & Visual Studio would provide you with a suitable platform (there are others) and you would not be restricted by limitations of needing to restrict yourself to size, HTML and CSS.

Thoughts?

Cheers
        Tony

Comment

Originally posted by msimons View Post
          As the motor-unit doesn't change that often, wouldn't it be better to hide this setting to /test or /config? What would happen if changed by accidant? Could i destroy the motor with false arguments?
          I agree.
          Way to much info on the screen that should be relegated to other screens.
          Possible layout might be: Row, Ring, Setup, Help, Admin

Setup: mecha version (E1 etc)., wifi connectivity, firmware updates, other global configs
          Row: ???
          Ring: ???
          Admin: ???
          Help: detailed instructions.

Sorry....
          the Mecha is a good/well manufactured product with lousy documentation.
          Documenting a product via a forum is not acceptable in my opinion.

I have found myself 'playing' for 'hours' with things that should be simple and they're not.

Also, there appears to be no rhyme or reason for the rate at which you release firmware upgrades. You need to provide more detail about bug fixing vs added functionality.

There has been some 10-15 releases since I last updated my mecha 2-3 weeks ago!!!!!!!

Cheers
          Tony

Comment

The updates will be more rare, the documentation is in progress, next update will be Monday and will disable the check for update at start and will offer option for update at demand. More about this will be in the release page /new or [info] in Mecha's U.I.

In the latest updates were introduced some ways to show more or less settings, from S1 (simple 1) to A3 (advanced 3).
            I explained why the web interface was left to catch-up the features here
            https://www.nodalninja.com/forum/for...back#post29294
            in short, to be able to have Mecha in your hands ASAP.

From Nodal Ninja store
            https://shop.nodalninja.com/mecha-e1...troller-f9905b
            ------------8<----------------------------
            This limited first release of the motion control is considered as BETA (hence reduced price). Any needed updates will be via firmware update. We are treating this first production model as beta release. A limited number of prototypes have been tested thoroughly. However, there can be bugs in unforeseen situations or environments. We will fix/ replace beta units if bugs affect the major operation or safety. Firmware is still under active development. Many updates are likely. Firmware update can be done over the air from server once the controller is connected to the internet.
            ------------8<----------------------------

Originally posted by tonyxt1 View Post

I have found myself 'playing' for 'hours' with things that should be simple and they're not.
            Sorry for that, I started a thread here to help a bit
            https://www.nodalninja.com/forum/for...w-to#post29547

I really hope you will understand and appreciate your patience until it will be settled.

cheers,
            Dorin
            1. Mecha it possible.
            2. Mecha it easy.
            3. ..

Comment

Cool little machine BUT I can't tell what it is supposed to do. No user manual??! Is there at least a glossary of the terms used on the UI?

Comment

Please see this thread
                https://www.nodalninja.com/forum/for...-using-tooltip

Dorin
                1. Mecha it possible.
                2. Mecha it easy.
                3. ..

Comment

1] the UI format options S1...A3 should be persistent.
                  2] What do E1, E2, P1 do?

Comment

Originally posted by tksharpless View Post
                    1] the UI format options S1...A3 should be persistent.
                    2] What do E1, E2, P1 do?
                    Yes, S1...A3 should be persistent in future firmware.
                    E1, E2, P1 select the gear ratio of rotator ATM. You may get a stronger E2 for testing your light field rig soon.
                    Fanotec
                    We listen. We try harder.

Comment

Thanks Nick.
                      I would respectfully suggest that the 3-page UI is a bad idea. In the first place it is hard to understand what value it adds. Secondly, it means there is a hidden mode affecting manual control: how do I know which set of 3 presets is active? If you want to have more than 3 presets, you should provide an easy and positive way to select any of them from the panel.
                      And you need a real numerical display -- even though I am an old embedded s/w engineer I find the blinking leds intolerable.

Comment

Indeed, I received some suggestions to have S1--A3 selection persistent, I said it will be then I drooped the idea as is indeed good for UI to start always with A3 to be visible all the settings, the user can hide the settings according with liking with a single S1--A3 selection.

The LEDs show is as additional hints in some cases, initial use were for battery level only,
                        Mecha is meant to be used from button presets and/or web interface.

AFAIK there will be an OLED equipped controller for Mecha as well.

Dorin
                        1. Mecha it possible.
                        2. Mecha it easy.
                        3. ..

Comment

1) Please highlight the current loaded preset (tksharpless mentioned this above)
                          2) Please finish the manual. A forum full of threads with snippets in 37 topics is not a manual.

Comment

One more step toward perfection: the shaft lock button should be on the side of the unit, not on the end, where it is too visible in down shots. And it shoud be matte black, because anything shiny and close to the lens is a flare magnet.

Comment

That is solved already and is even better than that, you'll see in the upcoming "Mechapixel" the movie.

Dorin
                              1. Mecha it possible.
                              2. Mecha it easy.
                              3. ..

Comment

Originally posted by msimons View Post
                                2) Please finish the manual. A forum full of threads with snippets in 37 topics is not a manual.
                                I agree!

I'm working on both simplify the use thus to have a much simpler manual along with a extended video which is easier to understand.
                                It will be focused on specific tasks and the user will take only what needs.
                                If something looks complicated but you feel should be easy please ask on "How To.." thread and I'll answer so, together we can have a better manual focused on what users needs.

It is true, we can have following scenarios
                                1) I'm making a vase
                                2) user say wants to put some particular type of flowers but found no suitable hole on top,
                                3) I guide how the top can be cut and the flowers can be put in
                                4) user say it also found there is no bottom of the vase so it cannot hold water
                                5) I say, luckily we have the top cut earlier and it can be glued on bottom.
                                that thread will hold "flip the vase" instructions even before the user manual is released exactly for the flowers the user wants.

Thank you for your patience and help.

Dorin
                                1. Mecha it possible.
                                2. Mecha it easy.
                                3. ..

Comment

Working...
                                X