Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feedback and Suggestions for the User Interface (UI)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback and Suggestions for the User Interface (UI)

We have a post about Feature Wish-lists and Suggestions here.
    https://www.nodalninja.com/forum/for...nd-suggestions

This post is purely about the Look and Feel About the User Interface (UI).
    We have a few suggestions on the UI already. Choice of UI can be very personal and can differ greatly from one person to another.
    When new features are added, the UI will also need to accommodate them. In order not to delay the implementation of new features. UI ENHANCEMENT or CUSTOMIZATION is put to a lower priority.
    Feel free to gives feedback on current UI on your device (please state the device model if a specific issue is found) and suggestions for future UI.
    The UI is hosted on a small microcomputer with limited ram and flash. It will remain simple and minimal, with higher priority on performance and low latency.

I'll try to replace the NN logo with a simpler icon. Frankly, I don't think it offers any enhancement over the original design. The image is a bit jaggy because I normally used a 150% zoom on the web page. The larger number of device types, browsers, and zoom levels make it difficult to have a UI perfect for all.
    Click image for larger versionName:	custom UI.pngViews:	1Size:	344.4 KBID:	29530
    Last edited by Bill Bailey; February 9th, 2019, 09:39 AM.
    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

What about SVG format?

Cheers
    Tony

Comment

The interface, although is quite complex program, has to work on as many as possible phones.

I'm considering some skin/theme support in the future, then user will be able to replace the stock theme with one which, say uses SVG, supported by modern browser if their phone supports it.

cheers,
      Dorin
      1. Mecha it possible.
      2. Mecha it easy.
      3. ..

MECHApapers in HD and 4K
      Get MECHA Panorama

Comment

Originally posted by DorinDXN View Post
        The interface, although is quite complex program, has to work on as many as possible phones.

I'm considering some skin/theme support in the future, then user will be able to replace the stock theme with one which, say uses SVG, supported by modern browser if their phone supports it.

cheers,
        Dorin
        Dorin,

All common browsers support SVG at current release levels but if you need a fallback then you could use Modernizr.
        SVGs would overcome the problem of imaging at different scales across different devices.
        I'm not sure what's harder.

Cheers
        Tony

Comment

Agree with that, Is that I meant.

One phone I test interface and works ok is running Android 2.3 (no SVG support) , will be some fine tune for browsers/OS which supports it, and SVG will be used when possible,
          only if the added "fallback" image don't take too much from the limited space available in Mecha.
          With themes will be possible to have a tight theme for modern browsers and tight theme for older, things like that.

Thank you for suggestion was noted and I'll have it in mind.

cheers,
          Dorin

1. Mecha it possible.
          2. Mecha it easy.
          3. ..

MECHApapers in HD and 4K
          Get MECHA Panorama

Comment

Android 2.3. WOW. That was released in 2010 and I think on the current usage charts accounts for less than 1%. Surely you have to be sensible and develop for current browser releases plus maybe 1 or 2 older versions.

cheers
            Tony

Comment

I agree with Tony. Many phones won't work properly after 3-4 years.
              here is a summary of svg support.
              https://caniuse.com/#feat=svg

For the older systems, we can simply use a circle as placeholder for the logo.

Nick
              Last edited by nick fan; February 8th, 2019, 08:45 PM.
              Fanotec
              We listen. We try harder.

Comment

Apologies to you both, my mistake I didn't mention that if it works on Android 2.3 it works perfectly on modern phones too.
                Is just a reference used in webdesign and is the lower specs confirmed to work Ok for Mecha, could be even lower, but this is not important.

So if one want to retire/revive an old phone and made it a dedicate interface to Mecha, it could be possible as well, just saying..

cheers,
                Dorin
                1. Mecha it possible.
                2. Mecha it easy.
                3. ..

MECHApapers in HD and 4K
                Get MECHA Panorama

Comment

Originally posted by nick fan View Post
                  I agree with Tony. Many phones won't work properly after 3-4 years.
                  here is a summary of svg support.
                  https://caniuse.com/#feat=svg

For the older systems, we can simply use a circle as placeholder for the logo.

Nick
                  Nick,

Something like Modernizr would give you a fall back approach where the browser didn't support SVG.
                  Also, it will be interesting to see where technology goes as more and more browsers adopt Google's Chromium base.

Cheers
                  Tony

Comment

Dorin,

Does the interface do any monitoring for you?
                    What phone?
                    What OS?
                    What options within the app are being used?
                    etc

Cheers
                    Tony

Comment

No, is not the case.

cheers,
                      Dorin
                      1. Mecha it possible.
                      2. Mecha it easy.
                      3. ..

MECHApapers in HD and 4K
                      Get MECHA Panorama

Comment

Please add a link or button on the main screen to get to the /new-page . Also /test could be helpful.

Swa the addition of showing battery level as percentage value with the LEDs like showing the IP-adress. Wouldn't it be easier to just show the battery level like is shown on startup?

Comment

Pressing the power button shows the battery level like at start-up.
                          The new added code 13 is just another way to show, say, the value 94 for 94% for battery level when Mecha is used without Web interface.
                          A more precise way than 20,40,60, 80, 100 shown by 5 LEDs.

Will be links to /new page in near future.

cheers,
                          Dorin
                          1. Mecha it possible.
                          2. Mecha it easy.
                          3. ..

MECHApapers in HD and 4K
                          Get MECHA Panorama

Comment

Does the Mecha1 identify itself as Mecha1? I ask because of the option to select E1, E2, P1 on the Main page. Why would one change this setting?

Comment

E1, E2 and P1 are the motor-units/rotators which can be connected to Mecha, E1 is the small one and P1 is the bigger one in this video.

cheers,
                              Dorin
                              1. Mecha it possible.
                              2. Mecha it easy.
                              3. ..

MECHApapers in HD and 4K
                              Get MECHA Panorama

Comment

Working...
                              X