Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mecha E1 - basic setup and how to use.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mecha E1 - basic setup and how to use.

From Nick (manufacturer):

A brief guide to get you using the Mecha.

Step 1
    - Ensure Mecha POWER OFF. Mount rotator to tripod slowly and gently. The motor inside rotator will spin freely in the power-off state. This prevents possible damaging force on the internal gears.
    - To secure mounting on the tripod, press the lock pin in the front of rotator while further turning the rotator. The pin will engage at some position and locks the rotator.
    Then apply force to tighten the rotator just like a manual rotator. DON'T grab on the controller or cable connector. I find the second posture works best for me.
    Avoid applying force to the top part of the rotator or the head attached during mounting/ dismounting. This may cause minor movement of the top part which may affect the gear performance.
    The pin can get stuck by friction. Reverse the force a bit to release it.

Step 2
    - Power up Mecha by long pressing the lower right button. LEDs light up to show the remaining battery level.
    Step 3a
    - LED 1 3 will blink alternately, waiting for wifi connection mode. Press button 1. This allows direct connection from phone or desktop.
    Step 4a
    - Browse for SSID Mecha-xxxxxx, where xxxxxx is the last 6 digits of mac address of the controller. The password is 12345678.
    The phone may say it does not have internet connection and ask you to switch network. Say NO! :-)
    Step 5
    - Type 192.168.8.1 in the browser address bar to connect to the controller. You will see a firmware version history. Click on ring or row to remotely control the Mecha. The ring is a small subset usable for fisheye lens users. Row can be any lens and allow more control on motor parameters. You can ignore them for the moment. See these videos for the interface. You can choose to show different level of details.
    https://youtu.be/OIAGp5tUqj4

https://youtu.be/CWBK1wQEwNg

Step 3b
    - LED 1 3 will blink alternately, waiting for wifi connection mode. Press button > to skip network connection. This allows quick standalone operation using saved presets.

Step 4b
    -Press 1, 2 or 3 and < to run the sequence in left (clockwise) direction. Press 1, 2 or 3 and > to run the sequence in right (anti-clockwise) direction. Factory presets for 1, 2, 3 are 4, 6, 8 shots around respectively. Single exposure per position. You can use the web interface to change the preset. The Load1/2/3 and Save 1/2/3 buttons.

That all you need to start experimenting the Mecha. :-)
    Mecha Rotator Lock Pin
    Last edited by DorinDXN; 01-19-2019, 07:22 AM. Reason: Typo

Hello,
    I received my Mecha today. Working without connexion is fine.
    But i do not understand how to connect to my IPHONE 6S !
    I am connected with WIFI ( See my Picture ) but i do not know how i can reach the program.
    Can you help?
    Thank you.

Comment

Hi All!.

First, Nice to meet you again :)

testing.. testing.. I didn't posted here for a while, hope it works :)

I'm working on a series of videos about use of MECHA, from the very basic one to web interface and software/firmware related subjects.

Still, if you're the happy owner of a new MECHA and you need of some help to guide you how to start to use it, please ask here and I'll do my best to answer in the meanwhile.

To have the most efficiency, please post also the firmware version you have on MECHA.
      That can be found if you access mecha.ip/_new
      (by mecha.ip I mean 192.168.8.1 or other IP MECHA might have, given by router, phone's hot-spot so. on.)

That will open a web page saying .e.g. 'MECHA updated to B_E_01321'
      from then you can click o [Ring] for simple use or on [Row] for a more settings reach variant, for more advanced settings.

About firmware, FW, the B_E_01321 is important because is likely you have received the unit with that version of FW

B_E_01321 is good, albeit some bug regarding "rewind" option, which is now fixed.

ATM, the last version is 1330
      To have your unit updated to 1330 you only need to connect MECHA to a Wi-Fi network with Internet access,
      from either 'Ring' or 'Row' page, then restart the unit.
      There are other options as well, I'll cover them upon request, depending on specific situation.

When MECHA starts there is a particular period time in which the LEDs show - = - = - = - =
      during that period, if you press
      button [1] for 3 seconds, MECHA will enter in AP mode and MECHA-123ABC SSID will be available for connecting where 123ABC is specific to your unit.
      or
      button [3] for 3 seconds, MECHA will forget the router you connected before and will enter in AP mode and MECHA-123ABC SSID will be again available

So, generally, the scenario for update consists in giving to MECHA Internet access, restart it and wait until the update is finished, 5 minutes, at most for the whole process,
      you'll see LED activity (will be covered in first upcoming video)
      then use MECHA as you want.

If you seem to lost the IP of MECHA i.e. you are unable to find it in network, with 1330 version, you can use this way

-----8<-----------------

If code 323 is entered using MECHA's buttons [3][2][3][<]
      the entire IP address is shown on LED like '192.168.0.100'
      If code 321 is entered using MECHA's buttons [3][2][1][<]
      only the last number of IP address is shown on LED starting with dot, like '.100'
      If 'AAA' is shown, MECHA is in AP mode and the IP address is 192.168.8.1
      If '!!!' is shown, Wi-Fi is OFF.
      If either '.0' or '0.0.0.0' is shown, MECHA isn't in AP mode nor have an IP assigned.
      In which case, a re-start, then [1] pressed 3 second at -=-=-=
      will enable AP mode and will allow to access the web interface through 192.168.8.1
      The conventions for symbols on LEDs are as follows:

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED_NR3.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	29270

Press [>] or Power button to end the display of IP address quickly.

-----8<-----------------

cheers,
      Dorin

Mecha it possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierroux View Post
        Hello,
        I received my Mecha today. Working without connexion is fine.
        But i do not understand how to connect to my IPHONE 6S !
        I am connected with WIFI ( See my Picture ) but i do not know how i can reach the program.
        Can you help?
        Thank you.
        Please open in browser http://192.168.8.1
        or you can try to scan this QR code
        Click image for larger version

Name:	MECHA-IP.png
Views:	1
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	29276
        cheers,
        Dorin
        Mecha it possible.

Comment

You forgot to mention that when pressing Button (3) for three seconds

Originally posted by DorinDXN View Post
          or
          button [3] for 3 seconds, MECHA will forget the router you connected before and will enter in AP mode and MECHA-123ABC SSID will be again available
          the mecha tries to connect to M-123ABC for firmware update and after the reboot afterwards you can enter AP mode by pressing 1 for three seconds as Bill wrote in his firmware-tutorial.

Also i found it very confusing that Bill writes that you have to press button (1) but without saying how long to press, in his firmware-update guide he states to press button (3) for three seconds as you do above. Pressing the button for a short time does absolutely nothing, this could be important for other users.

Btw, is there a topic describing the web interface buttons?

Comment

That is correct, if there is M-123ABC available at pressing [3] for 3 seconds, it will be used for connection and firmware update.
            I mentioned that there are other options for connection to Internet and one is indeed setting a M-123ABC hot-spot.
            At - = - = - = pressing these buttons for 3 seconds will do, for each
            [1] = AP mode
            [2] = quick connection to last wi-fi (router/ hot-spot, so on. )
            [3] = Wi-Fi reset then will use M-123ABC if exists, if not ,as it forget the previous Wi-Fi, will enable AP mode
            [<] = disables Wi-Fi

and with short press
            [>] = immediate use

I'll try to have here the most updated and correct(ed) info.
            Will be some videos as well, for the web interface, for now, only the old videos.

cheers,
            Dorin

Mecha it possible.

Comment

I tried to set my own wifi (2.4GHz) in the interface (will 5GHz networks work too?) but nothing happened. First after setup the M-123ABC-network on my router something happened at start and firmware was upgraded. Is there any need to connect the Mecha to the internet except for a firmware update?

Can the Mecha be connected to my router WHILE my phone is connected to the Mecha in it's AP mode or does connecting the Mecha to the internet always force a reboot?

What about a sticky post where you post news about the current firmware version and what has changed so the users know that it's time to update their version ...
              Last edited by msimons; 01-18-2019, 11:24 PM.

Comment

You can use the above described method to find MECHA IP, using 321 code for only the last value like .100 or 323 code fore the entire ip address.
                Once you connect to a Wi-Fi (2.4GHz only) MECHA will try to connect to it when is available.
                No need for other press 3 seconds start for that.
                At each start MECHA will connect to that router and you can access MECHA through IP gived by router to MECHA
                Is just connect and use. E.g. connect to MySSID wi-Fi and the router will give , say, 192.168.0.100 then you can access MECHA to that address from any device from your network and have also Internet on that device.
                MECHA connected to Internet will allow update once they are available (only at start)
                If you connect with phone to 192.168.0.100 you can have both internet from that particular router and control MECHA, also, advanced users can set rules on router to assign a particular IP for MECHA's MAC address, if desired, and even set a port forward to allow access to MECHA from anywhere through Internet, that will be covered in a tutorial in the future.
                Mecha it possible.

Comment

Just tested this to be sure it applies to 1330:

1) I started MECHA in AP mode, after boot is finished, say 30 sec. entered 323< that shows AAA means is in AP mode and I can connect to MECHA SSID and use 192.168.8.1
                  2) Connected and browse to 192.168.8.1, then selected Ring'' interface and click on [Connect to Wi-Fi]
                  3) Entered my Router's SSID and PASS
                  4) LED shows scanning for couple of seconds.
                  5) Entered 323< again and MECHA shows the 192.168.0.101 address
                  6) Opened from laptop (also connected to the same router) 192.168.0.101 and selected ''Row'' interface
                  7) At this point MECHA has dual command from phone and from laptop and can be accessed from both.
                  8) Powered down MECHA from power button, both interfaces starts to show Waiting..''
                  9) Powered up MECHA from power button and wait..
                  10) phone interface keeps ''Waiting..'but laptop interface shows the clock running that's mean I can control MECHA only from laptop now. MECHA is in STA mode only.
                  (7) is with increased Wi-Fi load on MECHA as is in both AP+STA mode that will be set as an option in future FW, with default as single AP or STA

cheers,
                  Dorin
                  Mecha it possible.

Comment

I accidently entered 323 but ">" instead of "<". The Mecha immediately startet the preprogrammed pattern "3", then stopped and then the leds 2 and 3 repeated flashing constantly. Connecting via phone was possible, even normal use and other patterns, but leds 2 and 3 kept flashing until shutdown.

Comment

For 1 digit codes like 1 or 2 or 3, [<] and [>] launch that specific preset in a specific direction.
                      [<] acts like cancel for other codes than 323 or 321.
                      For more than 1 digit codes [>], starts that specific program, for now, it starts only preset 3, I might hide this behavior in next FW. until we have more than 1 digit presets available (aren't now)

For more than 1 digit code, LED will flash indefinitely waiting for next digit, until you press [<], when executes 323, or 321 codes or cancel the LED flash if there are other code like 31, or, say 3231
                      The LEDs flashing are according with the digits entered that far.
                      Short press on power button should cancel any code or LED flash related to codes.

cheers,
                      Dorin
                      Mecha it possible.

Comment

Originally posted by DorinDXN View Post
                        [1] = AP mode
                        [2] = quick connection to last wi-fi (router/ hot-spot, so on. )
                        [3] = Wi-Fi reset then will use M-123ABC if exists, if not ,as it forget the previous Wi-Fi, will enable AP mode
                        [<] = disables Wi-Fi

and with short press
                        [>] = immediate use
                        What is the difference of just waiting for startup "[do nothing]" and "[>] = immediate use"? Anytime i startup the Mecha and press nothing. After a short period of time it auto connects to my predefined network. Does "[<] = disables Wi-Fi" be saved and at next start doing nothing Wi-Fi is also disabled?

Comment

ATM, B_E_01331, Wi-Fi is disabled only for the current session.
                          After re-boot or power cycle will be ON again.

There is a time when Mecha waits for input form user, that time is shown by LEDs splitting - = - = - = - = - =
                          say time to wait for input, 10 sec and if user press a numeric button another 10 sec, that allows time to enter 321 code or 121 (new) code w/o hurry

Immediate use means it doesn't wait for any input, Mecha understand that user want to use it ASAP.

Due to how the Wi-Fi module works, if no buttons are pressed at start, or [>] is pressed or [2] is pressed if the last Wi-Fi set is ON Mecha will connect to it,
                          is something happening in background that allows, if say, signal is lost for a moment, or so, to connect automatically back and to not loose the control.
                          This mode (automatically connects to Wi-fi) also allows particular use, e.g. I have a turntable turned by MECHA which is in a soft box, permanently powered by AC adapter, I have no easy access to buttons,
                          I don't use buttons, I connected it once to Wi-Fi and it has its IP since 6 months or so.
                          Only when I want to be have a FW update, I access the web interface and select "Reboot", as it is permanently ON.

cheers,
                          Dorin
                          Mecha it possible.

Comment

Yes, it will be so, when shutter confirmation will be implemented, camera will wait also for some extra shoots, needed for some reasons, moving features, so on, will be a quite flexible rule along with a flexible set of rules for delays toward time-lapse as well.

cheers,
                            Dorin
                            Mecha it possible.

Comment

just setup my Mecha ... Feels nice some questions.

1. Battery level - i can see it while powering on /off - is it possible to see it in the web interface ?

2 . rotator mode - it says E1 - I would expect for example R1 or R10 - ( as this is what probably most people have on top of Mecha )

3 Application mode says Ring 1.62 - explaining PDF states that it shows firmware version - I would expect the value to be 1.332 ( or similar i don't remember- set up 30 min ago.)

4. Regarding rotation scale - in the middle of the screen - I would kindly suggest replacing NN token with arrow or bullseye -
                              there is already huge FANOTEC / NN /mecha logo above it - in the most valuable part of the screen - and the token is very obstructive.
                              I'm sure you know the meaning of " kill your darlings " :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X