What's wrong with this picture?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with this picture?

Perhaps it's just me and I'm missing something, but the stop plate that I'm supposed to use to establish the camera position on the bottom rail appears to be arranged differently than what I'm seeing in the online videos. Plus the small, magnetic allen wrench that's inserted into the bottom of this plate that I thought could be used to reposition this plate, does nothing. Just received this earlier this week and trying to set things up for an assignment later next week. What am I missing?

The "stop plate" is there so that when you take the vertical support off, as in your photo, you can replace it in exactly the right place next time so once you have the right place for the vertical support fit the "stop plate" so that it is up against the vertical support.
    It can be on either side.
    Have a look at the photographs on:
    https://shop.nodalninja.com/nn3-mk3-series-entry/

The supplied Allen (hex) key probably does not fit as it is there for adjusting the "anti twist" plate for the camera, in which case you will need to find the right spanner (wrench).
    Have a look at:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA89ANOakB8

Come back if you have more questions, Hugh.
    Last edited by Hugh; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Thanks much for the response Hugh.

Originally posted by Hugh;30159n
      The "stop plate" is there so that when you take the vertical support off, as in your photo, you can replace it in exactly the right place next time so once you have the right place for the vertical support fit the "stop plate" so that it is up against the vertical support.
      It can be on either side.
      Have a look at the photographs on:
      https://shop.nodalninja.com/nn3-mk3-series-entry/
      I'm clear as to the purpose of the stop plate and I did view that video. However that video shows the stop plate on the opposite of the vertical assembly knob. So I would assume that the plate could be positioned on either side as in 2nd video you posted the plate shown is in the same location as mine.

Originally posted by Hugh;30159n
      The supplied Allen (hex) key probably does not fit as it is there for adjusting the "anti twist" plate for the camera, in which case you will need to find the right spanner (wrench).
      Have a look at:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA89ANOakB8
      Here's where I'm lost... at around the 2 minute point of that video it demonstrates how one simply loosens that plate and slides it into position with the supplied wrench. However that little allen wrench does not fit in that adjustment. Doesn't even appear to have an allen nut type head. Obviously positioning of this plate is a very basic part of the overall system so I'm left wondering what am I doing wrong-- or not doing right?

Hopefully I can resolve this as this NN is a huge step up from the old Kaidan head I was using where our Gigapan isn't suitable.

Tim

Comment

Stop plate can be installed on either side of your vertical rail, depending on the size of your camera.
        Just uninstall the screw and reinstall at the other side if needed.
        The hex key on the lower rail should fit the screw for the stop plate as well. Please take a picture to illustrate the problem of your unit.

Nick
        Last edited by nick fan; 4 weeks ago.
        Fanotec
        We listen. We try harder.

Comment

Hello Tim,

"I would assume that the plate could be positioned on either side" Sure, as endorsed by Nick.

I now understand the second part of your question and suggest a photo of the stop plate fastener as suggested by Nick so he can see what yours actually looks like and advise.
          Unfortunately my NN3 is a Mk2 and the stop plates have a slot suitable for using a penny in, which I find very convenient as a flat screw driver will do if I don't have a penny at the time.

Just a thought, is the tightener for the stop plate for the top bar the same as the one for the the stop plate for the lower bar in terms of the way of tightening?
          i.e. are they both Allen Key, slot, cross head slot, etc.

I look forward to hearing the problem solved, Hugh.
          Last edited by Hugh; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Hugh/Nick--

Originally posted by Hugh View Post

"I would assume that the plate could be positioned on either side" Sure, as endorsed by Nick.

I now understand the second part of your question and suggest a photo of the stop plate fastener as suggested by Nick so he can see what yours actually looks like and advise.
            Unfortunately my NN3 is a Mk2 and the stop plates have a slot suitable for using a penny in, which I find very convenient as a flat screw driver will do if I don't have a penny at the time.
            I'll attach a couple of photos. Never a fan of these blasted allen/hex screws but at the same time fully understand why manufacturers use them.

Just a thought, is the tightener for the stop plate for the top bar the same as the one for the the stop plate for the lower bar in terms of the way of tightening?
            i.e. are they both Allen Key, slot, cross head slot, etc.
            Yes, both top & bottom are the same and the top adjustment seems to work fine. However the screw head on this bottom plate would seem to be stripped somehow as the wrench just can't get a grip. Whether somehow it was tighter than "normal" when I received and that happened during my efforts to adjust it, or whether it's somehow a defect I really don't know.

Quite frustrating on one hand but on the other hand encouraging that there's helpful folks working to figure it all out.

Tim

Comment

Hello Tim,

I looks as if you do have a faulty component, which is extremely unusual for Nodal Ninja products, although I guess not impossible.

The way forward is to contact your supplier for a replacement part or hopefully Nick will sort this for you.

Your supplier will of course depend in what part of the world you are in, but even if you are not in Hong Kong or the USA contacting Nodal Ninja using https://shop.nodalninja.com/contact/ should get a positive response.

Best regards, Hugh.

Comment

Hello Tim,

I looks as if you do have a faulty component, which is extremely unusual for Nodal Ninja products, although I guess not impossible.

The way forward is to contact your supplier for a replacement part or hopefully Nick will sort this for you.

Your supplier will of course depend in what part of the world you are in, but even if you are not in Hong Kong or the USA contacting Nodal Ninja using https://shop.nodalninja.com/contact/ should get a positive response.

Best regards, Hugh.
                I purchased this from B&H in NYC last week. I will contact NN via the form you linked to ask what options I have. Thanks again for your assistance Hugh.
                Tim

Comment

Originally posted by tymzee View Post

I purchased this from B&H in NYC last week. I will contact NN via the form you linked to ask what options I have. Thanks again for your assistance Hugh.
                  Tim
                  see if you can use other hex key to loosen the screw. You can put the lower rail in a freezer. The shrinkage of the plastic holder may help to loosen the screw a bit. If it can be removed, then we can send you a new screw. If not, you need to return it for a fix.

Nick
                  Last edited by nick fan; 4 weeks ago.
                  Fanotec
                  We listen. We try harder.

Comment

Working...
                  X