Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

old NN3 MKII + Nikon D7200 + Nikkor 10.5mm need help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old NN3 MKII + Nikon D7200 + Nikkor 10.5mm need help!!

Hello everyone,
    I have the old NODAL NINJA 3 MKII and Nikon D7200 + Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye
    I have problems with NN3 settings, I think the Nodal point is ok but i have problems with the Nadir
    I'd love if someone can share settings that match the equipment I have
    When I shoot panorama I take 6 pictures each picture 60 degrees + 2 pictures each picture 90 degrees of the floor + 2 pictures each picture 90 degrees of the ceiling
    If necessary I will upload pictures of the nadir in the panorama.
    Thanks! (Sorry for my bad English)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	panoramic-heads-nodal-ninja-3-mkii-starter-package-fir-2_1024x1024.jpg Views:	1 Size:	89.3 KB ID:	29188
    Last edited by skypano; August 15th, 2018, 02:34 AM.

Hello Skypano,

I have the same kit as you, but D3200 instead of D7200, but this is the same size sensor, so I can set it up to make tests as necessary but will not be able to do this for a few days as I am away.
    I have not used this kit for while so I would need to set it up for the rail settings.
    When using the Nikon 10.5mm I use the Gold Ring as the NPP, but I cannot remember the actual shooting pattern, so will probably need to set it up anyway.

What exactly is your problem and what stitching software do you use?

By the way, there is no need to apologise for your English as it looks good to me.

Comment

Skypano, can you upload a full set of jpeg images somewhere (eg the free service at sendspace.com - no need to register) and post a link to them here. It should be easy to see what's going wrong.

John

Comment

Hello Skypano,

I have now found time to set up my old NN3 with the D3200 and Nikon 10.5 mm lens.

Looking back through my records I found that the seat location panoramas taken in May 2012 were taken with a D300 (APS-C sensor – same sensor size as D72000) and Nikon 10.5 mm using an NN3.
        These were shot with 8 shots round at -10° plus 4 shots round at +45°.
        I found it preferable to take 4 shots round at +45° rather than vertical (90°) shots to the Zenith as I found that often with Zenith shots in a room with an uninteresting ceiling or outside with the sky that there was not enough overlap to create good Control Points and that clouds in the sky made things worse as they move between exposures.
        I did not take Nadir shots for these as I was usually set up over the seats and the View Point Correction in PTGui needs a flat surface to work properly, but if I did have one I could have filled in the Nadir with a hand held shot.

To experiment, I set the D3200 up on the NN3 so that the Gold Ring on the Nikon 10.5 mm lens was on the axis for the vertical rotation which put the engraved mark on the mounting plate at 8.0cm as shown in the photograph.
        This may be different for the D7200 as it depends on the distance of the ¼ " tripod mount from the lens mount, but it is the NPP of the lens that is important, not the camera body so lining up the Gold Ring with the tilting axis should work for you.
        My Nikon 10.5mm has had the lens hood removed for use with an FX body, but its geometry with a DX body is not changed, and is fitted with a lens ring for use with an R1.
        I set up the lower rail by putting the upper arm vertical (90°) and using the Live View to get the Nodal Ninja logo on the NN3 in the centre of the view finder, which put lower arm support at 8.1 cm as shown in the photograph, but he centre of the lens to the base plate on the D7200 is some 6 mm more than on the D3200 so you will probably find that your setting is more like 8.7 cm.

With 8 shots round at -10° plus 4 shots round at +45° each image overlaps to the centre of the next image giving great Control Point generation and the possibility to use the PTGui Mask option to deal with objects that have moved between each image (e.g. people, animals, trees in the wind).

6 shots round at -10° plus 3 shots round at +45° also works, but there is a large area in the centre of each image that has no overlap with the next image so Control Point generation is not so strong and there are quite big areas where the Mask function cannot be used.

I like to have lots of overlap for good Control Point generation and for using the Mask option.

4 shots round at -10° plus 2 shots round at +45° does not work as there are gaps in the panorama.

The reason for shooting half the number of shots round at +45° was so I did not need to change the detent ring, just going two clicks round for the “up” images.

To fill the nadir I used a handheld shot holding the camera where I estimated it was for the shots on the NN3.
        I usually do this with the camera still on the tripod and a remote shutter release so I can keep my feet far enough back out of the area of the Nadir.
        If I think that I might have my feet in shot I take two handheld shots at 180°.
        I Mask out the parts of the Nadir shot I do not need so I am left with only the part I need to replace the tripod and NN3.

I now stitch with PTGui Pro 11.6, but if you are using PTGui Pro 10 then the Nadir can be filed using the View Point Correction in PTGui
        With PTGui 11.6 I load the images, including the Nadia shot then click on "Align images..." then use "Optimizer" "Advanced >" and on the right hand side of the screen where is has "Use control points of:" I make sure all the images taken with the NN3 are checked, but the handheld image(s) are unchecked then "Run Optimizer".
        I then use the Panorama Editor (Ctrl+E) and the Mask option to remove any unwanted parts such as the tripod feet or my feet.

I hope this gives you a starting point to work from and hope you enjoy making panoramas with your NN3 and 10.5mm lens.

Hugh.

PTGui View Point Correction:
        https://www.ptgui.com/examples/vptutorial.html
        http://www.johnhpanos.com/ptgvpt.htm

Seat Location Panoramas:
        http://360hugh.co.uk/panormas/seat-locations/
        Last edited by Hugh; August 18th, 2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Wow thank you very much for the impressive response !!!
          I'm using PTGui Pro 10 for Stitching
          I'm going to try the method of 8 shots round at -10 ° plus 4 shots round at + 45 °, and the setting from the Photos you uploaded.
          Yesterday I tried the method of 6 shots round at -15° from this old tuturial: http://www.easypano.com/forum/displa...1&TopicID=4162
          And I'm going to upload examples of the panorama and full set of jpeg images.

edit:
          Here is a link to the Panorama:https://www.360cities.net/image/8-sh...ts-round-at-45
          8 shots round at -10 ° plus 4 shots round at + 45 ° without nadir shot
          I think it came out well but I need a solution to the nadir
          Last edited by skypano; August 19th, 2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Great result Skypano.

It is really what works for you.
            I think it is worth the 8 shots round plus 4.
            Going to -15 would give you a little bit more floor between the tripod legs with still lots of overlap between top and bottom rows, but going to -20 would just show more of the NN3.

To fill the Nadir you need to have PTGui Pro so that you have the View Pointy Correction and Masking tools.

Hold your camera in approximately the same place as it was on the tripod, but pointing vertically down.
            You can do this for your existing Panorama as you can use the tiles to work out where the tripod was.
            You will need to stand as far back as you can and lean in to avoid getting your feet in.
            You can then use the View Point Correction to fill the Nadir with your new image.
            Open PTGui with the *.pts file and add the down image.
            Manually add Control Points for your Nadir image with the bottom row of images taken with the NN3, then follow the advice in the Tutorials for Optimizing the panorama.
            i.e. With the Optimizer in "Advanced >" mode, on the right hand side of the screen where is has "Use control points of:" make sure all the images taken with the NN3 are checked, but the handheld image is unchecked then "Run Optimizer".
            Then ensure all boxes are checked and again "Run Optimizer".

You will probably need the Masking tool to only use the parts of the handheld Nadir image that you need and you may need to Mask out the tripod legs in some of the other images, but you can use the Panorama Editor to see if this is necessary.

PTGui View Point Correction:
            https://www.ptgui.com/examples/vptutorial.html
            http://www.johnhpanos.com/ptgvpt.htm
            Last edited by Hugh; August 21st, 2018, 06:15 AM. Reason: I inadvertently left out an important step for View Point Correction with PTGui Pro 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh View Post
              Manually add Control Points for your Nadir image with the bottom row of images taken with the NN3, then follow the advice in the Tutorials for Optimizing the panorama.
              i.e. With the Optimizer in "Advanced >" mode, on the right hand side of the screen where is has "Use control points of:" make sure all the images taken with the NN3 are checked, but the handheld image is unchecked then "Run Optimizer".
              Hugh, this doesn't seem right. In order for the optimizer to align the nadir image, its control points must be used, so all the images need to be checked in the "Use control points of" list.

John

Comment

Thank you John,

Yes, I have inadvertently left out a step for View Point Correction with PTGui Pro 10.

I should have written:
                Then ensure all boxes are checked and again "Run Optimizer".

I have edited my message to include this.

Apologies to all, Hugh.

Comment

Working...
                X