Is the RS-1 the best choice for Samyang 7.5 mm on Olympus OM-D E-M5?

Thread: Is the RS-1 the best choice for Samyang 7.5 mm on Olympus OM-D E-M5?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Is the RS-1 the best choice for Samyang 7.5 mm on Olympus OM-D E-M5?

I've been removed from the pano scene for a long time, and now I'm ready to jump back in. I need to make a quick purchase, but the product offering from Fanotec is daunting these days! I've owned a NN2 and NN3 in the past, but now I'm looking to accommodate an Olympus E-M5 with a Samyang 7.5 mm lens. I think that the RS-1 is a good fit for this body/lens, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any direct experience with this setup? A quick forum search didn't yield a lot of results.

I want to shoot full spherical panos (occasionally with bracketing). If I'm not mistaken, I should be able to shoot a full 360 with 4 shots around plus a zenith and nadir. I'm not sure if I should be be looking at the RS-1 or if the R1 is a better (more compact) solution for me. I think I'll need a nadir adapter for either rig, and I'm okay with that.

Anybody shooting with this body/lens have any input?
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brandroid View Post
    I've been removed from the pano scene for a long time, and now I'm ready to jump back in. I need to make a quick purchase, but the product offering from Fanotec is daunting these days! I've owned a NN2 and NN3 in the past, but now I'm looking to accommodate an Olympus E-M5 with a Samyang 7.5 mm lens. I think that the RS-1 is a good fit for this body/lens, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any direct experience with this setup? A quick forum search didn't yield a lot of results.

I want to shoot full spherical panos (occasionally with bracketing). If I'm not mistaken, I should be able to shoot a full 360 with 4 shots around plus a zenith and nadir. I'm not sure if I should be be looking at the RS-1 or if the R1 is a better (more compact) solution for me. I think I'll need a nadir adapter for either rig, and I'm okay with that.

Anybody shooting with this body/lens have any input?
    As samyang 7.5mm is a full frame fisheye on MFT, a multi-row pano head will be a better choice. I will recommend RS1 over R1.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    As samyang 7.5mm is a full frame fisheye on MFT, a multi-row pano head will be a better choice. I will recommend RS1 over R1.

Nick
    Thanks Nick. I was leaning towards the RS-1. I guess I just need to decide on my rotator now. I'm thinking the D5 just for the sake of flexibility in shooting.

One more question regarding the RS-1: Is there a user guide available for this yet? It might help in making my buying decision, and it would certainly help once I get it in hand and start setting up.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brandroid View Post
    One more question regarding the RS-1: Is there a user guide available for this yet? It might help in making my buying decision, and it would certainly help once I get it in hand and start setting up.
    Operation is same as NN3. You might want to wait for a week or 2 for the new lens ring for Samynag 7.5mm that allows aperture and focus control.
    And we also have smaller Arca compatible rail with integral clamp.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Ok, thanks Nick. I actually just pulled the trigger on my order. I guess I'll check back to see the updated version.