Source of information or FAQ for putting together a Pole rig

Thread: Source of information or FAQ for putting together a Pole rig

Share/Bookmark
  1. Source of information or FAQ for putting together a Pole rig

Users Country Flag

I have plenty of experience with spherical panoramas with NN3 and NN4 and now I'm considering trying my hand at doing some pole panos. I've been considering getting a travel pole but it's still not clear to me what all is need to set up properly. i.e. Are there specific issues when choosing which tripod to use with a pole? Which nodal heads are recommended for using with a pole (I'm assuming it must be one of the ring type such as Ultimate R1 or R10). How do I choose which one fits my needs? Is there a way to do nadir shots? How do all the pieces fit together? e.g. do you mount a minute rotor, for example, to your tripod then the pole to it? Are issues to watch out for that are different from when you are doing standard (non-pole) 360 panos?

Before getting started, I want to make sure I order all of the proper equipment and have a good overview of how it all goes together. I've looked a the video tutorials on the NN site but they still leave gaps in what a complete equipment list looks like how it all goes together.
    Users Country Flag

for pole aerial photography, you will want as set up as light as possible. R1/10 is lightest but NN3 will also work well. Assuming you are using DSLR and a 3m pole, you can do it handheld, use our foot plate or use a tripod and a tripod adapter. If using a 6m pole, a rigid tripod and tripod adapter is needed. For a mirrorless camera 6m pole can also be handheld.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

I'd like to clarify one thing.
    To combine Ultimate R1 Adjustable Tilt Ring Mount Package (F6120) with pole (series 2, mounting R1 on top and RD5 on bottom) I need a single Pole 3/8" Screw (F7175), is that right?
    Users Country Flag

To Mount R1 on pole you need either the Ultimate R1/R10 Pole Adapter Kit (F6138) OR Quick Mount Mini Adapter System (F7154). For R10, just mount directly.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

It's nice to know that I could start with a NN3 since I already have one That still leaves a lot of questions.
    Do I need an adapter to mount it on a pole or can it go directly on?
    In that case, I would mount a mini rotator to the tripod then the pole on top of a mini rotator and lock the rotator on the NN3?
    I'd still like to know what works and what doesn't work regarding zenith and nadir shots?
    Users Country Flag

If I plan on working with something like a Fujifilm X-T1 and the travel pole, based on experience, would you recommend mounting to a tripod or using the foot attachment. I'm looking for advice on not only what can work but what is likely to give the best results. My guess is that using with a tripod would give the best results. Is that true?
    Is the pole bubble level accessory only useful if you aren't using a tripod that has a level built-in?