Best solution for lightweight setup using Samyang 8mm or 7.5 mm fisheye

Thread: Best solution for lightweight setup using Samyang 8mm or 7.5 mm fisheye

Share/Bookmark
  1. Best solution for lightweight setup using Samyang 8mm or 7.5 mm fisheye

Users Country Flag

As far as I know, the best options for lightest weight cameras with APS sensors are the Sony Nex series and Fujifilm X series. The Samyang 7.5mm and 8mm fisheyes appear to be excellent and popular choices for using with these cameras. In my experience, 5 shots around works best for these cameras.

The RS-2 has a 5 stop ring available however overall it's seems a bit overkill for the size and weight of these camera lens combinations.

The RS-1 is lighter and personally, I prefer the friction upper rotator for light setups. However; the nearest rotator option that would work is 6 stops. I could go this route but I hate to shoot 20% more shots around than is really needed for excellent results. When doing a virtual tour and using HDR this can really add up. I could use a 10stop rotator but when working in a hurry that presents the risk of not skipping a stop at some point then realizing later that the set has been blown.

Is it possible to get a combination of the RS-2 lower assembly with an RS-1 upper rail?
    Are there others here who use the Samyang/Rokinon and would like to see a 5-stop option for the min-rotator?
    Users Country Flag

For Samyang 7.5mm, 4 shots are enough to complete the sphere. If you are satisfied with single row without zenith shot at NPP, you can go with R1/R10 or the coming R20 which is lighest NN.
    Yes, we can add the 5 stop ring to Rotator Mini.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Hmmm... I replied earlier today but it didn't show up. Anyway, that's great news. I just got a Fujifilm X-T1 with a Samyang 8mm so the 5 around is what I really need. (By the way, the Samyang 8mm Fisheye II has the least chromatic aberration and purple fringe of any fisheye I've tried.) Do I just make a note on the order that I want a 5-stop ring or is it a separate item I add to the order?
    Users Country Flag

You need to wait till we release it. I will try to do that in Dec.
    Or you can try the 10 stop RM. I plan to make some labels to indicate 5 stop intervals.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Since I know that's exactly what I need, I don't mind waiting. Thanks.