M2 kit suitability question

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: M2 kit suitability question

Share/Bookmark
  1. M2 kit suitability question

I am looking to buy a Nodal Ninja pano head, and hope NN can help me with some questions.

As frame of reference, I already have the below eqpt that I plan to use the pano head with:
    a) Canon 5DIII with Sunwayfoto L-bracket.
    b) Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS USM lens with Vello Tripod Collar & Kirk LP-57 Quick Release Lens Plate.
    c) Canon EF 70-200 F/2.8L II IS USM lens with tripod collar & Wimberley P-20 lens plate.
    d) Kenko 2X PRO DGX Teleconverter. (so my 70-200mm lens becomes a 400mm focal length).
    e) Feisol CT-3442 Carbon Fibre tripod.
    f) Markins Q20 ballhead with Markins quick shoe.

- All lens & camera plates above are arca-swiss compatible.
    - I would like a pano head system which will work well in multi-row pano photography work.
    - I want to use a pano head to do HDR high resolution pano landscape for print work (i.e. prints long side > 40").
    - I like the gimbal head capability of the M2 ... to do the occasional bird photography.

I understand that the NN4 is designed to work with camera & lens of up to 100mm focal length, & so I am not considering the NN4.
    That leaves ,me with either the “Ultimate M1-L RD16II” or the “Ultimate M2 with RD8-II”.

Although I also have the Canon EF 50mm F2,5 compact lens & the Canon EF 85mm F1.8mm lens, I my primary lens on the pano head will be the Canon EF 100mm L lens (for quality reasons), and perhaps occasional use of the EF 70-200mm F.28L lens as well.

So my thots on the most suitable head for me with future proofing scalability is the M2 + RD16II.

Q1) Will the rails/ sliders that come with the M2 kits suit my 100mm & 70-200mm lenses (i.e. rails are not too short or too long)?

Q2) Any other thots on suitability, or is M2 overkill?

Thanks
    Sabotoz
    Users Country Flag

you should definitely get M2. :-)
    M2 made for landscape photographer. M1 made for spherical pano makers.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread