When will upper rotator click stops upgrade be available

Thread: When will upper rotator click stops upgrade be available

Share/Bookmark
  1. When will upper rotator click stops upgrade be available

So far Iīm happy with the M2L, now all that is missing is click stops on the upper rotaror. When is it due?
    Users Country Flag

scheduled for production now. We also filed patent application for it.:-)

Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 08-24-2014 at 01:38 AM.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Any news about when we can expect click stops to be available?
    Users Country Flag

Wait for our announcement in Jan.
    Nick

Fanotec

Do you mean this: http://shop.nodalninja.com/ultimate-m2-giga-f9000/ ?

Thatīs way too bulky, I had the impression that there would be a compact solution as in the previous heads like NN5. Bummer.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by erikreitan View Post
    Do you mean this: http://shop.nodalninja.com/ultimate-m2-giga-f9000/ ?

Thatīs way too bulky, I had the impression that there would be a compact solution as in the previous heads like NN5. Bummer.
    Everything just fits in the M2 case. It is really compact when paired with a >200mm DSLR lens. Don't forget it goes down to 1.5/2/2.5/3.75 deg stops! NN5 only has 15 deg stop. Depending on the market feedback, we may introduce smaller one with coarser intervals.

Nick

Fanotec

My nodal Ninja already takes up a good deal of space in my fairly large backpack, and I am having trouble seeing how this add on can be anything but bulky with regard to fitting the head into a photo-bag. I donīt request that you replicate the 15deg. mechanism in the nn5, but a similar design with the mechanism built into the upper rotator is what I was expecting when reading that the upper rotator would be upgradable to clicks.

When shooting normal photography with lenses 200mm and below, as I suspect most people do, clicks at 1.5 deg. stops is overkill. Fine for doing extra-ordinary giga panos with a 700mm lens of course, but I dare to speculate that most pano shooters never has need for most of the functionality in this add on...

Iīm hoping that you will provide a more compact solution before your competitors do, as Iīm happy with my nodal ninja and would like to be able to continue using it in the future.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by erikreitan View Post
    My nodal Ninja already takes up a good deal of space in my fairly large backpack, and I am having trouble seeing how this add on can be anything but bulky with regard to fitting the head into a photo-bag. I donīt request that you replicate the 15deg. mechanism in the nn5, but a similar design with the mechanism built into the upper rotator is what I was expecting when reading that the upper rotator would be upgradable to clicks.

When shooting normal photography with lenses 200mm and below, as I suspect most people do, clicks at 1.5 deg. stops is overkill. Fine for doing extra-ordinary giga panos with a 700mm lens of course, but I dare to speculate that most pano shooters never has need for most of the functionality in this add on...

Iīm hoping that you will provide a more compact solution before your competitors do, as Iīm happy with my nodal ninja and would like to be able to continue using it in the future.
    I am interested in your workflow, equ. focal lenghth number of shots, fov of panos etc. Do you use the case for M2?

NIck

Fanotec

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    I am interested in your workflow, equ. focal lenghth number of shots, fov of panos etc. Do you use the case for M2?

NIck
    The last bit first: No, I donīt use the case for M2, I pack the head into one of the compartments of my F-stop Tilopa backpack for compact carrying.

With regards to shooting, this varies of course, but usually i use a combination between focus stacking and panorama shooting in order to produce large scale prints for art exhibitions.

Focal length between 50mm and 200mm and there are 2-3 rows with maybe 10-15 images each. This would imply that click stops on the upper rotator wouldnīt be necessary, since I could just do one row at a time. However, when focus stacking, I find it better to move in a zig-zag pattern.

For example, if there are 3 rows, and 3 images on each row, the sequence would be (row-image): 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 1-2, 2-2, 3-2, 1-3, 2-3, 3-3 etc.

This is because the focus stacking slows the process down so much that the light may change by the time I return from say image 1-10 to image 2-1. By shooting in a zig-zag pattern the change in light will be spread horizontally across the image, instead of between each row, making stitching easier and looking more natural.

Hence, it is practical to have click stops on the upper rotator even though I donīt shoot that many rows. And hence It would be practical with a solution with eg. clicks between 4deg. to 20 deg.
    Users Country Flag

if you just shoot a few rows, a smaller M2 Giga plate (the bulky part) can be made by trimming both sides. Currently, it supports 180/150/130/100 deg at 3.75/2.5/2/1.5 deg interval respectively. It can be much smaller if trimmed to 100/70/50/40 deg at 3.75/2.5/2/1.5 deg interval respectively
    Is that what you want?
    Click-stop is not precise at the upper rotator under action of gravity. A positive stop will take much more bulky (about 2 times) and 2 deg is very fine interval already. :-).

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

ok, I read again you need 4-20 deg. What exactly do you mean? 4/5/6/8/10/20..etc interval? Stops are finite and you can only get the multiple of the base value.

Nick

Fanotec

Yes perhaps if it was trimmed it would be smaller. Not often you need to shoot at that steep an angle. But since Iīm not familiar with how the giga operates in practical use, its hard to say at what angle it should stop.

How about 4 - 5 - 7,5 deg? By clicking twice you will then also have 8, 10, 15. From what I can see in the pictures of the giga, this would eliminate one row of click stops on the plate.

Or even better, clicks at 8-10-15 with a function similar to the one on rd16 that divides the stops by 2 providing the smaller stops.

Is it not possible to build a simpler mechanism into the rotator itself, like a more advanced version of the mechanism in nn5? Personally, I wouldnīt mind if the stops were not positive either, as tightening the rotation for each stop is quick, I do this on the lower rotator anyway. The tricky bit is keeping count of the increments of rotation, which is where the click stops are invaluable.
    Users Country Flag

in terms of space it occupies in your bag, it does not matter 1 row or 4 rows after trimming both edges. The aim for the positive stops is to have precise pitch/ tilt angle for all images in the same row. This will be of BIG help for long focal length that has small angle of view. Some images may have small region with features for control point detention. The precise interval will allow the use of align to grid function in ptgui or use of papywizard to generate xml file for Autopano.

There surely is more compact design for intervals above 4 deg, but there are also customers who need to use 1.5 deg. ;-)
    That said it is still possible to add click stops for M2 in a more compact way that the Giga Addon.

Nick

Fanotec