New to panoramic photography

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to panoramic photography

Share/Bookmark
  1. New to panoramic photography

Hi, I'm new to panoramic photography and need to get some equipment to start off. I've got a Canon 50D, 10-22mm, 24-105mm and a 50mm. I also have a Manfrotto 290 tripod and 3-way head.

I'm interested in taking <180° landscape multirow panoramas to start with, some vertical.

Can you please tell me if the NN4 would be enough? What will the M1 or M2 do the the NN4 cannot? Does the M2 have the "click stops" on the upper rail? Is the RD16 a better option than the 8? Do I need a base plate or anything else?

Although I'm just starting I'd prefer to try and get the right gear first, rather than spend less money initially but have to pay lots more because of limitations.

Many thanks for any help.
    Users Country Flag

NN4 has limit of 15 deg interval on the upper rotator. Max eq. focal length is 100mm, about 60mm for 50D. M1 has 7.5 deg interval and it supports roughly double the focal length. But being fixed positive stopping interval, they are very precise. They can utilize template for stitching featureless area.
    M2 will have upper rotator addon to support more and finer positive stopping intervals from 1.5-3.75degree. It has 3 advantages over M1:
    * Freedom to compose the pano for min number of shots. M1 is fixed in 7.5 deg intervals from the horizon. M1 is designed for spherical panos, not problem there. eg your region of interest starts from 5 deg to 20 deg from the horizon. You shoot 2 rows at 7.5deg using M2. But you need to shoot 3 row using M1 (0-22.5 deg coverage).
    * Freedom to use best focal length for most efficient shooting. M1 is limited multiples of 7.5 deg, 7.5/15/22.5/30 etc. There are "steps" of focal length supported. For the fixed % overlap, you jump from 200mm to 100mm and no in-between when the interval is changed from 7.5 to 15 deg. Using a eg 135mm will require 7.5 deg interval and just give you more overlap compared to using 200mm, NOT faster.
    * Support >200mm focal length.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Thanks Nick.

When you say "M2 will have upper rotator addon to support more and finer positive stopping intervals", do you get this with http://shop.nodalninja.com/ultimate-...rotator-f8001/ or do I need to buy something else?

Also do I need a base plate or anything else?

Thanks.
    Users Country Flag

That is the M2 kit. The upper rotator addon is not available yet.
    You need a Arca Compatible camera plate if not yet have.

Nick

Fanotec

Last question, can I use my 50D + 24-105mm lens with the NN4? i.e. Is the upper rail long enough for this zoom's length? I'm struggling to find the measurements.

Thanks for all your help.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by emdub27 View Post
    Last question, can I use my 50D + 24-105mm lens with the NN4? i.e. Is the upper rail long enough for this zoom's length? I'm struggling to find the measurements.

Thanks for all your help.
    Canon 5D works. 50D also works. I will bet on this and offer you full refund including shipping if it doesn't work.

Nick

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread