Small Arca Swiss plate for bottom of RD16 rotator?

Thread: Small Arca Swiss plate for bottom of RD16 rotator?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Small Arca Swiss plate for bottom of RD16 rotator?

Hi guys. I have a Nodal Ninja M1 with the RD16 rotator. I'll explain my setup briefly so my question makes sense. I have a small Arca Swiss plate for my camera (the kind with a lip at the front that matches the contours of the camera to stop it twisting) that I use to lock it into the rotator arm of the NN M1. I also have a wider 'bar' style Arca Swiss plate that I received with the M1. I use this on the bottom of the RD16 rotator to mount to my ballhead for easy on-off use. Having a plate on both the rotator and the camera means I can easily switch between using the camera directly on the ballhead and using the panoramic head on top of the ballhead. I'm not sure if this is how others do it, but it works for me. The one problem is that the plate on the rotator isn't ideal due to its size and shape. It protrudes on either side of the ballhead and looks a bit silly. his brings me to my question:

Does anyone know of a quality, not too expensive (some plates are really quite expensive), square shaped Arca Swiss compatible plate that won't protrude (too much) from the bottom of an RD16 rotator? Ideally with dove tails on all four edges as I find that easier because it will lock in no matter what direction it's facing.

Thanks,
    David

It looks promising, but I was hoping someone could give me some first hand experience with one they use personally... I don't want to use one and then find out that it was cheaply made and the bolt breaks, sending my camera and head crashing to the ground. ;) Actually, looking carefully at it, I just realised that it's only got dovetail grooves on two of the four edges. I was hoping to find one that has dovetail grooves on all four.

I did also find this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Desmond-DP...item2c878f07e8

It's by the same company, looks very similar but claims to "mounts in both axis's" but the photo is poor and I can't actually see for certain what the dovetails look like.
    Users Country Flag

if you have RD16 II, we have a plate for it.
    http://shop.nodalninja.com/arca-swis...d5-16ii-f1191/

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Hi Nick. Thanks for your reply, but I am looking for a plate that is square and has the dovetail arca swiss edges on all four sides. Also, it's quite expensive for a basic plate...

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Desmond-Square...a+swiss+square

But I don't have an RD-16II to measure it on. I'll try to post a couple of pix later today if you like.

Hi Mosleyh,

What equipment do you use your plate with? Do you think it seems well built and would be able to withstand the forces of a M1-L, RD16 and another 1.5kg (4lb) of camera equipment, including off axis? That's my main concern, I don't want to buy something that isn't capable of handling my equipment safely, but I do want something that is relatively compact and versatile. I suspect if there is a weak point in camera plates, it could be the mounting screw, and that screw with the built in fold-out handle looks a little suspect. If you could post some pics, that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I use the plate to mount a Nikon D800e and 70-200 2.8 VRII lens on a Gigapan EPIC Pro, so I'm obviously not worried about it failing. Here are the photos:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	1151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	1152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	1153

Let me know if you need any other specific views.

I found this plate on EBay: [IMG][/IMG] You can also cut the plate to the diameter of your RD 16 if you have the tools.