Canon 5D mark ii + Canon 8-15 + NN4 rail settings

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canon 5D mark ii + Canon 8-15 + NN4 rail settings

Share/Bookmark
  1. Canon 5D mark ii + Canon 8-15 + NN4 rail settings

I recently upgraded from the Samyang 8mm to the Canon 8-15 for my NN4.

I also have been using the Atome with a 550D + Sigma 8mm which is a no nonsense "drop the tripod and shoot" setup. But 360Precision charges an EXTORTIONATE amount for the 8-16 lens ring...

I managed to get a setup with the Samyang that worked for me but it's head wrecking to set this 8-15 up. I have a massive job ahead of me and I really wanted to use this setup for my client. I just don't have the time to fiddle with things for hours and hours only to find I am a half a millimetre off in the field.

Something else I find alarming is that different focal lengths require different upper rail settings... This complicates things even more...

(the forum search feature gives me a 500 internal search error btw)

I have been through the forums but I find conflicting settings from users and threads about this setup on the NN5. This is an incredibly scientific art and it would seem there should be an extremely scientific setup that everyone would use with each combination. It would be nice if this was provided by Nodal Ninja but I can't seem to find it.

I am going to forget about using my Manfrotto 323 RC2 quick release at this point...

Does anyone have any quick and dirty rail settings for the Canon 5D mark ii + Canon 8-15 + NN4?

I would appreciate any help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by counterpoint View Post
    I just don't have the time to fiddle with things for hours and hours only to find I am a half a millimetre off in the field.
    No need to spend hours and hours. You can do the setup quite accurately in 15-20 minutes or so. I just set up my M1 head to determine the settings for the 8-15mm lens at 12mm (4 shots around) and 15mm (6 shots around) and that's how long it took. As a starting point, for the NN4 I suggest you try 105mm @12mm and 106mm @ 15mm. The lower rail setting should be the same as you found for the Samyang.

See http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm

John
+ Reply to Thread