Rail settings for RS-1/Nikon D800/Rokinon (Samyang) 8mm?

Thread: Rail settings for RS-1/Nikon D800/Rokinon (Samyang) 8mm?

Hybrid View

1. Rail settings for RS-1/Nikon D800/Rokinon (Samyang) 8mm?

RS-1/Nikon D800/Rokinon (Samyang) 8mm

If anyone else is using this particular combination, I would very much appreciate the sharing of your rail (NPP) settings.

Wow, am I really the only person using this combination?

I don't have an RS-1 or a D800 or a Rokinon 8mm fisheye. OTOH, I do have a tutorial that should enable you to establish the settings yourself in 10-15 minutes or so:

Report your settings here for the benefit of others.

Hello Mosleyh,

How has it been with a D800, R1 and Rokinon (Samyang) 8mm?
    I would be interested to know how many shots round you use and what size Equirectangulars you get as I am looking at this combination for a particular project.

Thanks, Hugh.

I honestly haven't used it in a while, but with a footed monopod it works well as a "Run and Gun" setup. 4 round-shots and either a nadir shot or a nadir cap added during stitching nets a 12208*6104 image.

Here's a sample from a local event last year: https://lookaroundgreenville.com/VR/...Duck21/VR.html
    Users Country Flag

Your LR reading should be 5.8. If you use 4mm spacer, then add 0.4 to it.

I also find this customer report.
    Camera: Sony A77
    Lens: Samyang 8mm f3.5 CS

NPP adjusted at 30 degrees horizontal rotation (panos will be taken at 60 degrees stops)
    Upper tilt : 10 degrees down (as tested)
    Lower rail : 6
    NPP (lens ring plate) : 3.1

We listen. We try harder.

Thanks for the information.
    Great panorama with lots of people, which is what I am looking to do.

Purchased the lens ring for the Samyang 8mm 1:3.5 for the R1 with a D800 from Red Door (excellent service).
    Great improvement over the APS-C sensor and Sigma 4.5mm.
    Either 4 or 6 round producing minimum of 12,000 x 6,000 Equirectangulars whereas I was lucky to get 6,000 x 3,000 Eqiurectangulars before.
    +7.5 closes the zenith nicely and hole at the nadir less than the top of the tripod.

To maximize speed, I shoot that setup on a Sirui P424S monopod. If you want a closed Nadir, it's easy to set the tilt to -45 and hand hold it. I do the same on RS-1 + Nikkor 16mm.