Rail settings for RS-1/Nikon D800/Rokinon (Samyang) 8mm?

Thread: Rail settings for RS-1/Nikon D800/Rokinon (Samyang) 8mm?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Rail settings for RS-1/Nikon D800/Rokinon (Samyang) 8mm?

RS-1/Nikon D800/Rokinon (Samyang) 8mm

If anyone else is using this particular combination, I would very much appreciate the sharing of your rail (NPP) settings.

Thanks!

bump.

Wow, am I really the only person using this combination?

I don't have an RS-1 or a D800 or a Rokinon 8mm fisheye. OTOH, I do have a tutorial that should enable you to establish the settings yourself in 10-15 minutes or so:

http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm

Report your settings here for the benefit of others.

John

Hello Mosleyh,

How has it been with a D800, R1 and Rokinon (Samyang) 8mm?
    I would be interested to know how many shots round you use and what size Equirectangulars you get as I am looking at this combination for a particular project.

Thanks, Hugh.

I honestly haven't used it in a while, but with a footed monopod it works well as a "Run and Gun" setup. 4 round-shots and either a nadir shot or a nadir cap added during stitching nets a 12208*6104 image.

Here's a sample from a local event last year: https://lookaroundgreenville.com/VR/...Duck21/VR.html
    Users Country Flag

Your LR reading should be 5.8. If you use 4mm spacer, then add 0.4 to it.

I also find this customer report.
    Camera: Sony A77
    Lens: Samyang 8mm f3.5 CS

NPP adjusted at 30 degrees horizontal rotation (panos will be taken at 60 degrees stops)
    Upper tilt : 10 degrees down (as tested)
    Lower rail : 6
    NPP (lens ring plate) : 3.1

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Thanks for the information.
    Great panorama with lots of people, which is what I am looking to do.

Purchased the lens ring for the Samyang 8mm 1:3.5 for the R1 with a D800 from Red Door (excellent service).
    Great improvement over the APS-C sensor and Sigma 4.5mm.
    Either 4 or 6 round producing minimum of 12,000 x 6,000 Equirectangulars whereas I was lucky to get 6,000 x 3,000 Eqiurectangulars before.
    +7.5 closes the zenith nicely and hole at the nadir less than the top of the tripod.

To maximize speed, I shoot that setup on a Sirui P424S monopod. If you want a closed Nadir, it's easy to set the tilt to -45 and hand hold it. I do the same on RS-1 + Nikkor 16mm.

Thanks Mosleyh,

Good tips, which I will bear in mind.
    For the tasks I will be using the rig for the nadir is not important as the floor often has carpet with stains on or is otherwise unattractive so we cut the panoramas off at something like -60.
    We also sometimes cut out the zenith if the roof space is pipes and utilities.
    Perhaps not true spherical panoramas but we are aiming for the viewer to focus on features above and below the horizon.