NN4 + EZ-Leveler for multirow mostly

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN4 + EZ-Leveler for multirow mostly

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN4 + EZ-Leveler for multirow mostly

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to buy NN4 with RD16 for shooting multirow panos mostly: landscapes, buildings exteriors, skylines. Spherical panoramas is an option, but not the goal.

My gear is Canon 5d MKII, Canon 16-35mm II, Sigma 50mm, Canon 90mm TS-E, Canon 70-200mm f4 IS (I know about 100mm limit but I'm going to shoot on 70-100mm focal length)

My questions are:

1. Do I need to buy EZ-leveler if I'm not going to shoot 360 panos, will it be useful for my goals?
    2. Is it possible to use 70-200 lens for single row panos, will be the Lower Rail length enough for this lens? According to Entrance Pupil Database L2 for Canon EF 70-200 f/4.0 @70mm is 92mm,
    then L1+L2 is 130,5mm and will not be supported by NN4? Does it mean that it's impossible to use this lens with NN4 or my calculations are wrong?

Thanks,

Ksenia.

Quote Originally Posted by format View Post
    1. Do I need to buy EZ-leveler if I'm not going to shoot 360 panos, will it be useful for my goals?
    Hey

You'll need more the EZ if you are shooting partial panoramas than spherical. If you shoot spherical and you are tilted it's not big deal as you can leverage the panorama later during stitching as you have whole sphere. If you shoot partial panomara and at worse one row one, you need to be levelled or you wont have much picture once you'll level your panorama in post-processing.
    In all matters it's always easier to get panomara shot levelled than to do it later !

Quote Originally Posted by format View Post
    2. Is it possible to use 70-200 lens for single row panos, will be the Lower Rail length enough for this lens? According to Entrance Pupil Database L2 for Canon EF 70-200 f/4.0 @70mm is 92mm,
    then L1+L2 is 130,5mm and will not be supported by NN4? Does it mean that it's impossible to use this lens with NN4 or my calculations are wrong?
    Instead of attaching camera on NN4, you can attach the lens using its lens collar ring.

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com

Thanks, Vincen, no more questions about EZ, will add it to my purchase. :)

Instead of attaching camera on NN4, you can attach the lens using its lens collar ring.
    Canon 70-200 f4 IS doesn't have collar out of the box, does it mean that I need to buy one and this will solve the problem with the length of lower rail?
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 02-26-2014 at 09:53 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Ksenia,,

There is no collar available for this lens. Neither by RSS nor Kirk. So you should use it on the camera.

Your calculations are right for the upper rail. URS is 130,5mm . This is the longest setting on the rail for your lens. The longer the focal length, the shorter is the setting.
    The longest possible setting on NN4 Upper Rail is 139mm with the CP-2 mounted with 1/3 to the end of rail. You can mount the CP-2 visa versa, with 1/3 or 2/3 of the base plate of CP-2 to front or end of rail. From this point of view the upper rail would fulfill your needs. Problem might be the weight of the lens. Because there is no collar available, this shows that the lens does not need one because of it's weight. Actually, I believe you'll shoot more on the longer focus @zoom 200mm than @zoom 70mm.

The only other solution is the M1, which will solve your problem on all your questions. But is more expansive.

But if you ask me, I would try to test the lens on NN4. I will check the lower rail for you tomorrow, means that you place the CP-2 in place of the vertical rail to shoot in landscape mode on lower rail.

In case this does not work, you can use the following equipment :

On top of the RD16II you add a QRC-55, F8303. Buy a 160mm M1/2 rail F8250 and a QRC-40A, F2100 to fix your camera. You have to get an extra camera plate: CP-C1 for your camera with automatic align system.http://shop.nodalninja.com/camera-pl...e-cp-c1-f2120/
    This way you have a lower rail to use for landscape shooting for your lenses on top of RD16II similar to a former version. To change to NN4, take off the QRC-55 from top of RD16 and replace it with the lower rail of NN4. A way to use NN4 as well as M1 rail on top of RD16II. Check on M1 Accessories for parts.

So long,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 02-26-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Hi Heinz,

you're right, there are no original Canon collars for this lens, but there are third party collars like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/JJC-TR-1-Len...item4d184ff8cb

How do you think, is it possible to use it with 70-200 and NN4 and does it make sense?

Thank you for detailed explanation how it's possible to make almost modular system with NN4, will think of it too, althought the total price it very close to M1.

I would be highly appreciated if you test the lens on NN4.

Regards,

Ksenia
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 02-27-2014 at 03:53 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Ksenia,

I tested the NN4 for you. The original lower rail of the NN4 is long enough, but once your camera is mounted, you can not read the settings. So you have to use a mark at the side of rail, to bring the camera in position. The rest of the pics shows an M1 rail with the two clamps you need to do the job. It's mounted to RD16II and EZ-Leveller.

Now it is your turn to decide: use the normal upper rail which will work, I'd use the collar in this case, or try the lower rail to shot in landscape mode. Or use the M1 Rail version without buying the NN4.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5933.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1098Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5934.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1095Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5936.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1097Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5938.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1094Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5942.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1096

Heinz

Hi Heinz,

thanks a lot for testing!

As the collar is not so expensive, I'll try with it too, I think.

Thanks for help,

Ksenia.
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 02-27-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    Users Country Flag
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 02-27-2014 at 09:35 AM.

With an l-bracket for your camera you could also shoot single row portrait landscapes using the M1 lower rail and Rd 16 or 8.
+ Reply to Thread