Adapt Advanced Rotator top to accept 3/8 inch male thread

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adapt Advanced Rotator top to accept 3/8 inch male thread

Share/Bookmark
  1. Adapt Advanced Rotator top to accept 3/8 inch male thread

I am consider buying the advanced rotater but I am not using the nodal ninji arms. I already have a sizeable investment in Acratech leveling plates, ball head, nodal rail and right angle arm. I would like to place the advanced rotater on top the leveling plate and below the ball head. The leveling plate has a 3/8 male thread on top which would then screw into the bottom of advanced rotater which had a 3/8 thread. Then I would like to screw my Acratech ball head on to the top of the advanced rotater. The issue is the the thread on the rotater is a M6 thread which is close to a 1/4 inch thread.

One thought I had was to drill our the M6 thread on the top of the rotater and retap it with a 3/8 thread. There are two problems that I see with this. 1) the M6 thread is only 1/2 deep and after drilling the tap would be placed in hole and because the tap is tapered, I wouldn't be able to get a good thread deep enough. 2) Drilling and tapping would probably put shavings down inside the rotater and damage the bearings.

I was wondering if the head could be partially disassembled to drill and tap the hole and put back together again?

Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick
    Users Country Flag

Hi Rick and welcome to the forum,

You can easily solve the problem by using the M6 to 3/8" Adapter. Be sure to set the concave side of the ring to the rotator. That way it will keep the screw in it's place.

http://shop.nodalninja.com/advanced-...adapter-f9200/

Then you can go on with 3/8" thread on top of the RD16II. Be sure it will keep the weight of your ball head. Normally we do not like to use a ball head on top. Be aware, that it may cause problems with outstanding parts and you have to mask a lot. But just test it.

Feel free to ask,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 01-20-2014 at 11:08 AM.
  3. Thanks

This would be great. Thanks for your help.

Rick
    Users Country Flag

I can't imagine the benefits of putting a ball head on RD16. What is the point? You have a leveling base at the bottom already. The ball head will only cause misalignment and exert more torque on the leveling base. The overall torque may be 2-3 times of normal configuration that the leveling base is intended to be used.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread