Metabones Speed Booster

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metabones Speed Booster

Share/Bookmark
  1. Metabones Speed Booster

Users Country Flag

http://www.metabones.com
    Just received my Metabones Speed Booster.
    In case you have not heard of this nice little gem, it moves the lens closer to the sensor. You can use full frame lenses on a cropped sensor camera. There are two very nice results: You get a wider lens and you get a lower f stop. This is the reverse of a teleconverter. There is an optical element in the adapter.
    Below is my NEX-7 (cropped sensor) with the Tokina 10-17 lens.

11mm:

This projection will allow me to use this camera/lens on my monopod, tilted up 5 degrees, 4 pictures around + hand held Nadir. I can ditch the big, clunky and expensive Sigma 8mm in favor of the smaller, handier and expensive shaved Tokina 10-17
    13.5mm:

Using the same camera/lens I can then move over to my tripod and shoot 6 around + Zenith + Nadir.
    One camera/lens, two different ways to capture the pano.
    Now I just have to figure out the clamping system. The NN lens ring clamp for this lens does not allow adjustment to the zoom. Back to my machine shop for some more fun.
    If you are interested in the RAW images, send me a private email and I will send you the link.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Dennis,

if you are mounting the lens to a camera without protruding flash housing, the lens can be clamped at region near the lens mount. Same case for you using a thick adapter mount.
    So you can make something very simple in your machine shop.

NIck

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

FOLLOW UP:
    After much testing and "pixel peeping" with several lens/camera combinations (lord knows I have enough of those laying around) my conclusion is that the image is degraded too much. NEX-7 + Sigma 8mm is oh so very sharp. NEX-7 + Metabones + Nikon 10.5 is not so good when inspected closely. Same with the Tokina 10-17 lens. Image quality is just not there. I am still within the return time limit, so off to the post office tomorrow.
    My recommendation: pass
    Users Country Flag

any comparison images to share?

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Top left: NEX-7 + Sigma 8mm + Metabones, top right NEX-7 + Nikon 10.5 + Metabones.
    Bottom Left Nikon D3s + Sigma 8mm, bottom right Nikon D3s + Nikon 10.5.
    Raw images straight out of the cameras. Absolutely NO processing at all. 100% zoom on the right edge of the images.
+ Reply to Thread