Tips to buy lens and NN for 3D works

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tips to buy lens and NN for 3D works

Share/Bookmark
  1. Tips to buy lens and NN for 3D works

Red face

Hello Community,

I need your help because i'm little bit confused to decide what is it the best NN for me.
    I'm a 3D artist and I guess it's no so important to have an high definition HDR for my own projects and I don't want to spend tons of euros/dollars to buy a new camera and an expansive lens at the beginning.
    I have a NikonD80 and I would ask you if you have some suggestion which is a cheap lens to make HDR and which the best NN for me.
    If you want to spend some of your time to reply to the next answer it will be very amazing. I'm not a PRO and I want to understand before to buy a NN how I can know how to set properly my NN (how many degrees stops) using a DSLR and a Specific Lens. What should I take into consideration (focal lens, lens, type of camera) what kind of ratio I have to do. If you have some lectures where I can take a look... I trust in you community :))
    Merry Xmas!

Gabriele, Your camera has a crop factor of 1.5x. Go to http://www.vrwave.com/panoramic-lens-database/ for shooting data for many lenses. The ones commonly used are highlighted, the cheapest fisheye being the Samyang 8mm (also sold under several brand names such as Rokinon, Vivitar, Polar, Opteka, Bower ...). This is a fullframe fisheye that really behaves like a 9mm lens despite the differing focal lengths specified by the various brands. You will need to decide what size of stitched panorama will be needed for your purposes before you can pick the lens, though. Stitching programs generally produce a full 360x180 panorama in an equirectangular image format having pixel dimensions in the exact ratio 2:1 - e.g. 6000x3000 or 8000x4000.

And Merry Xmas to you too!

John

Gabriele:
    Are you looking for a lens and a NN? for your own panos or for your 3D work? The rendering program I use is KeyShot, which gets lighting information from HDRI's. There is quite a bit of overlap between panoramic photography and the creation of 360 HDRI's used for rendering. For more info on 360 HDRI's and virtual lighting check out: http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl

Feliz Navidad,
    Tim

WOW! How many informations! I love it! :) In this moment I'm not home but when I'll have time I start to surf through john's link. Actually I just need a 6000x3000.

Waters: Yes I'm looking for both :) And I have to use that one for my 3d works (I have to match a 360° HDRI'S with a live action plate). I'm using Autodesk Maya and Vray/Arnold as render engine.
    Actually I used a NN during my last course, with a Canon 7D and a 8mm lens and It was very cool :) But they wasn't mine.
    What I understood I have to use a fisheye. What I didn't understood (the next question is for John) If this lens is compatible with a NodalNinja 3/4 or with Ultimate R1/R10. I asked you because I read this note: The 16-35mm Nikkor lens is not compatible with both the NN3 and NN4 series pano heads.
    from this link http://shop.nodalninja.com/nn4-starter-package-f4500/

Buon Natale, again! :)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrieleLori View Post
    Actually I used a NN during my last course, with a Canon 7D and a 8mm lens and It was very cool :) But they wasn't mine.
    What I understood I have to use a fisheye. What I didn't understood (the next question is for John) If this lens is compatible with a NodalNinja 3/4 or with Ultimate R1/R10.
    A fisheye lens doesn't have to be used, but it's preferred to enable fewer shots to be needed. Be aware that the Sigma 8mm is a circular fisheye (with the sides cropped) that gives approximately 180 degree vertical coverage, whereas the Samyang 8mm is a fullframe fisheye having a 180 degree diagonal. So the Sigma 8mm can be used on an R1/R10 mount to enable a full 360x180 to be shot as a single row of images (+nadir patch), whereas the Samyang's limited vertical fov will leave a zenith hole to be filled with a separate zenith shot as well as a nadir shot. The zenith shot cannot be taken while accurately maintaining the no parallax point. This may not be too important outdoors with a hole in the sky to fill. Generally, the NN3/4 would be preferable for use with the Samyang lens.

John
    Users Country Flag

Hi Gabriele,

Here are some infos for you:

http://www.airpano.com/360Degree-Vir...o-360-panorama

http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...oot-3D&p=32780

A fisheye lens will be compatible with all types of NN Panoheads. But shooting a 3D pano, Ultimate R1 R10 is not recommended. You have to use a longer rail to be able to replace the camera to shoot Pano2. Another way would be to use two cameras and shoot the two panos in one go.

Merry Xmas to all of you.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 12-25-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hi Gabriele,

Here are some infos for you:

http://www.airpano.com/360Degree-Vir...o-360-panorama

http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...oot-3D&p=32780

A fisheye lens will be compatible with all types of NN Panoheads. But shooting a 3D pano, Ultimate R1 R10 is not recommended. You have to use a longer rail to be able to replace the camera to shoot Pano2. Another way would be to use two cameras and shoot the two panos in one go.

Merry Xmas to all of you.

Heinz
    Hi, thanks to share this informations but I wasn't talking about stereoscopic panorama... I think there were a misunderstanding. My fault, sorry. :) Now I start to read the other links and I think I will spent some hour to decode what the others guys said me!

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    A fisheye lens doesn't have to be used, but it's preferred to enable fewer shots to be needed.

John
    Interesting. So could I use another lens and with more shots obtaining the same result? Do you have some tip to suggest me?

You can use almost any lens to shoot a panorama and get a similar result - differing of course in terms of resolution and general image quality. People shoot gigapixel panoramas with long focus rectilinear lenses - e.g. 300mm - but these need hundreds of shots. The bigger the focal length, the bigger the panorama image but the larger the number of shot required. It's all a question of balance. Decide how big a panorama image you need to produce for your particular purposes and then work backwards to determine what focal length lens is needed with your camera to produce that size of image. PTGui can help with this. All you need to do is load in a sample camera image and specify the crop factor and an invented focal length. Set the output to 360x180 equirectangular and the output panorama size to maximum. Trial different focal length settings until you get the size of output image needed.

John
+ Reply to Thread