Minor Suggestion

Thread: Minor Suggestion

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Minor Suggestion

Users Country Flag

Nick,

Just received my new RS-1 head and like the fit and finish very much. I do have one suggestion regarding its use with the Nikon D800/16mm. This camera/lens combination is heavy enough that upper horizontal arm slips on the upper rail unless the rotator tightening knob is twisted exceedingly tight. The problem is the 20mm diameter washer underneath the knob. It is thin, slippery and has a stamping burr on the edge...making it difficult to bring enough pressure to bear on the upper rail. Substituting a thick 25mm diameter fender washer (McMaster-Carr 90313A107) solved the problem. I look forward to using this new rig.
    Users Country Flag

Thanks for your suggestion. I am testing a new gasket material for the friction disk. Friction is much improved. It will be offered free of charge for all NN3, NN3II and RS1 customers.

Note:
    When it is available, customers can request it from Nodal Ninja Store or reseller where they bought the NN head. Since this is bonus item, customers need to pay for the shipping cost for the item.

Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 01-24-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Nick

Do you have any idea of if and when improved friction disks will be available for current owners of NN3/RS-1 heads?

I am in Mesa Arizona close to the Nodal Ninja Office for the next three weeks and could pick one up if they became available.

Thank you
    Users Country Flag

Sorry, it is not available at NN office yet. PM me your address. I can send you the friction disk directly.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. Another Suggestion for the RS-1

Users Country Flag

Nick,

Even with a lighter weight DSLR and full frame fisheye, there is quite a bit of weight hanging on the upper rotator shaft of the RS-1. With frequently loosening of the vertical axis, I suspect the hole in the aluminum die casting will start to wear. This can be solved by adding a large washer, a thin 1/4-20 locknut on the threads and installing a vertical rotator knob with a hollow back... as used in the early Nodal Ninja 3s. I've improvised this and it works fine.

Best regards,
    John