A specific custom made L bracket

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A specific custom made L bracket

Share/Bookmark
    Users Country Flag

@Nick,

At the moment I don't have the L-Bracket. Trying to get one. Tripod socket is at the same position as on NN plates.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/L-bracket_for_Nikon_D800.html

Heinz

@Dennis Hi, really it is so I can use my Kirk 'L' bracket when I'm not using the NN although obviously because it is arca swiss I would also be able to use it with my NN instead of having to change.
    @Heinz Hi, I would happily send you my Kirk and give you a fee to 'sort' my bracket out. If you pm me your address I will send.....thank you.

@Nick Hi, upon looking at my Kirk bracket, I think a plastic piece, without the little plastic tab underneath, would do the trick with double-sided tape. Obviously it would be trial and error at first to align but once done it should work. If you could send me a couple of pieces I could try (I would pay obviously).
    Also I've noticed that the Kirk has 2 sensor alignment marks on the horizontal bit, one for when the camera is slid along to gain access to the USB ports, in this position it hits the pin on the clamp and is under a mm out of the centre mark on the clamp, so that is an option. Access though to the USB ports can still be gained when the camera is fully on the bracket anyway , so personally, I prefer that as the camera seems more stable on the Kirk bracket. I hope this helps.
    John
    Users Country Flag

The problem is the gap because of the screw. The amount of tape which can be used is dramatically reduced when you just cut the piece to adapt it. When you place it without the pin, it won't keep its position. I've send my address.

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Hi John,

Get a scanner and send me the image of the base as instructed. I am at reachable
    nick a t fanotec . com

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

John,
    Why not use a lens ring clamp?

You could use whatever camera body/l bracket/battery grip combo you want and never disrupt your calibration. I can swap out camera bodies as often as I like with no recalibration. Ever since I converted all my panos heads to lens ring clamps I have not looked back.
    Dennis

Hi Dennis
    Thanks for that..it would be ideal if i only used my 16mm but sometimes I shoot with my 14-24mm and I believe that would be way too heavy.
    John
    Users Country Flag

How about putting these on the L bracket? You would not need to fabricate anything.
    http://shop.nodalninja.com/stop-plat...yle-2ea-f2106/

Hi Dennis
    Yes I'd already tried that, although obviously you can only put one on because of the spring loaded pin on the other side of the arca swiss clamp. Then, with only one stop plate on you can't take shots with your camera on a flat surface. I think it would eventually work loose too as it's only a tiny Allen screw. Thanks for the input though.
    John
    Users Country Flag

Hi John,

Succeeded in making a prototype for Kirk L-Bracket with integrated NN Click Stop:

http://ge.tt/6m4LxuB1/v/0

Works as a normal NN Click Stop to automatically center the L-Bracket as you liked to get. The L-Bracket is movable as normal to reach the camera connections at the side. The Click Stop is totally integrated in the Kirk L-Bracket so you can place the camera flat on a table.

I made an alloy model with a hollow place below for the Kirk Screw and screwed it to the Kirk L-Bracket with two 1,6mm screws to keep it in place. Because of the place needed to move the original screw below it, it is only a 7mm socket to be added to the L-Bracket. The two 1.6mm screws keep it safe in place being placed a little bit diagonal along the connecting surface. The screws will be glued with Locktide. It works fine with a nice click to center your L-Bracket.

Heinz

Happy New Year to all NN Users and all the NN Employes and Resellers. Good luck and I keep my fingers crossed for good business for Bill and Nick. Keep on going. Thx for all your work for your customers.
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 12-31-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Superb! Nice one Heinz.....Happy New Year to you and everyone connected with NN.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hi John,

Succeeded in making a prototype for Kirk L-Bracket with integrated NN Click Stop:

http://ge.tt/6m4LxuB1/v/0

Works as a normal NN Click Stop to automatically center the L-Bracket as you liked to get. The L-Bracket is movable as normal to reach the camera connections at the side. The Click Stop is totally integrated in the Kirk L-Bracket so you can place the camera flat on a table.

I made an alloy model with a hollow place below for the Kirk Screw and screwed it to the Kirk L-Bracket with two 1,6mm screws to keep it in place. Because of the place needed to move the original screw below it, it is only a 7mm socket to be added to the L-Bracket. The two 1.6mm screws keep it safe in place being placed a little bit diagonal along the connecting surface. The screws will be glued with Locktide. It works fine with a nice click to center your L-Bracket.

Heinz

Happy New Year to all NN Users and all the NN Employes and Resellers. Good luck and I keep my fingers crossed for good business for Bill and Nick. Keep on going. Thx for all your work for your customers.
    Hi Heinz,

Knowing the dimensions of the groove/slot of the L-plate, I can simply make a plastic stop plate that fits the contour of the groove. The plate can be fixed by double sided tapes. The process is reversible. Looks like something I need to do in 2014.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Nick,

I'll send the dimensions the next days. I only can send a scan with 600dpi.

So long, Heinz
+ Reply to Thread