A specific custom made L bracket

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A specific custom made L bracket

Share/Bookmark
  1. A specific custom made L bracket

Hi
    I bought a custom plate for my Nikon D800 to use with my Ultimate M1 but I would be really interested in a 'L' bracket version, I don't know if this is a viable option. I do have a Kirk 'L' bracket but obviously I've got to line it up every time I use it (if and when I take the U3 off). So, a self-aligning one would be great to keep on and use with my ball head.
    This is obviously more aimed at Nick.
    Thanks
    John
    Users Country Flag

Obviously, we will make L-bracket at the end. We need to study how to make them at a lower cost. Also, they are more likely to be camera specific. Which will be costly to keep the inventory. We need to be better in management. The other choice is to make auto aligning plate for RRS and Kirk.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Try
    http://shop.nodalninja.com/stop-plat...yle-2ea-f2106/

You will need to center your lens on the horizontal arm, but once done you can put a stop plate on your L bracket to register. I adapted a Kirk clamp for my NN3 horizontal arm years ago. With a Kirk plate on my D7000 the stop plate takes the guesswork out of setting up.

Thanks for the reply Nick and waters60.
    @Waters60........yep I did actually try a stop plate but I was unsure where to centre the 'L' bracket because on the U3 with the self aligning piece of plastic it 'seems' slightly off-centre when looking through the viewfinder, so, do I centre everything over the tripod screw or set up like the U3, off centre?
    The other thing, obviously, is when I tried the stop plate, I couldn't put the camera on a flat surface as it was lop-sided....I could have added another stop plate the other side but then it starts to look a little bit ridiculous. As Nick said, either a self aligning plate for Kirk etc or make a specific camera one. I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable amount for the right product either way.
    Thanks
    John
    Users Country Flag

John,

Do you need to move the L-Bracket aside to get space to between the body and the bracket? And when do you need to do it?

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Try the L-Bracket from Really Right Stuff. Each one has a center point marked for your specific camera (both horizontal and vertical). I believe Kirk has started doing this also, but I don't know if all of them have it.

Hi Heinz
    Not quite sure what you mean. What I want is to have an 'L' bracket that self aligns like the U3 plate, then I can use it for 'normal' photography. I did try using a stop plate (as per the above post) but am not sure about my Kirk bracket alignment. Also, by just using 1 stop plate I can't put the camera down on a flat surface (say, a table top) to take a picture as it's obviously lop sided.
    Maybe, if the U3 had a tripod screw underneath I could screw the Kirk to the the underside of the U3 plate for the times when I wanted to use it on a tripod in the portrait orientation.
    Thanks
    John

@sdphoto.....yes my Kirk does have a centre mark but when I align with this the view is slightly off centre to what the U3 plate is. Also, I take many of my shots in the dark so some sort of self alignment would be a great help.....that's why I bought the U3 plate.....but don't want to keep taking it off to use my Kirk.
    Thanks
    John
    Users Country Flag

John,

You can move the L-Bracket aside leaving it on the body to clear the space between the body and the connections. I know what you are looking for. I am just checking the possibilities.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 12-14-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Hi Heinz
    Thanks for the reply, when I do put the Kirk bracket on it fits to just about a couple of mm off the camera body side and like you say it does slide to one side to get access to the camera USB port etc., although I do use the port when I connect my Camranger. Somehow being able to mount the U3 plate to the Kirk bracket would be a solution, then I could keep the U3 on but just connect the Kirk when I want to take portrait orientation shots. I do have a pan and tilt head but obviously all the weight, not to mention having to adjust the shot, is to one side.
    John
    Users Country Flag

Hi John,

The problem is that the click stop plate of NN mounted to the Kirk L-Bracket will not allow you to move the L-Bracket aside because it is blocked by the click stop plate of NN. This is what you have to live with having a L-Bracket with automatic align NN Stop.

Can you live with this?

Does the Kirk L-Bracket allow you to open the connection cover when it is centered?

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 12-14-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Hi Heinz
    No it doesn't allow me to open the connection cover when centred, I would have to partially open it before centreing the Kirk on the NN. This doesn't affect the opening of the shutter release cover obviously though, just a pain when connecting to the USB port on the camera.
    John
    Users Country Flag

John,
    I cannot visualize how you would use an L bracket with the D800 and the M1 pano head. Do you have a picture?
    Dennis
    Users Country Flag

The trick is to integrate the stop plate into the L-Bracket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BLD800e copy.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1091

Now John can use the L-Bracket like a normal NN Plate in the Upper Rail Clamp having the NN Automatic Align System integrated in the L-Bracket.

Heinz

I supposed this to John in a former thread but he did not dare and want to machine around his Kirk Plate. I could do the job for him.
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 12-15-2013 at 12:48 AM.
    Users Country Flag

The plastic integrated stop plate can be easily made with 3D printing if dimension of cut out in the L-brackts are known. Any one can make one himself/ herself.
    Maybe I should make this accessory to make customer's life easier. :-)
    Heinz and John, you can help me by scanning the L bracket with a flat bed scanner with 1200+ dpi. Place a ruler alongside for calibration and reference. I will also need to know the position of the tripod socket. Is it at the far end? I can offer 2 stopping positions. The plate will be attached by double sided tape.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread