Ultimate Modular Series Stability Test shows it stands 5 Beaufort

Thread: Ultimate Modular Series Stability Test shows it stands 5 Beaufort

Share/Bookmark
  1. Ultimate Modular Series Stability Test shows it stands 5 Beaufort

Users Country Flag
    Lightbulb

Hi guys,

Since a longer time I liked to proof the Wind Stability of the M Series.

I did a first test with 2 beaufort but wanted to go beyond this speed. So I took an industrial ventilator with 16800m3/h, 78cm diameter, 24kg which brought me up to 4. My knowledge form sailing and gliding ended in placing a conical tube in front of it and I managed to speed up to 34.7km/h which is in the middle range of 5 beaufort.

I tested with my D3 and 300mm/f2.8 with the air blowing directly to the camera lens combination on M2 RD8II placed on a Feisol 3372LV.

I took pictures of a ISO 12233 test chart.I used different shutter speeds: 2, 2.5, 4, 6, 8, 10 sec.
    The pics were taken with ISO 200, f8.

Because M1 and M2 use the same rails I dare to say M1 would get the same results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5888_2s.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	1057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5887_2.5s.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	1060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5886_4s.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	1056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5885_6s.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	1061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5884_8s.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	1054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5883_10s.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	1055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7234.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	1053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7236.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	259.4 KB 
ID:	1058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7248.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	1059

I will try to get to a higher speed if possible to see when M Series begins to trill.

I think this is a proof of a well and stable designed panohead series. Many thanks to Nick.

http://www.knmi.nl/cms/content/28976/

Another test I did with the laser with and without the camera lens combination: http://ge.tt/3LyRo7Q

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 10-18-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Heinz,

Thanks a lot for your test and the trick to increase wind speed of a fan. The wind guide is quite flexible and should resemble natural winds.
    All you test shots are exposure compensated in raw developer?

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Nick,

Yes, I compensated the overexposed pics in a RAW Developer.

Heinz

Hi Heinz
    Thanks for testing this but what does it mean?
    Thanks
    John
    Users Country Flag

Hi John,

This test serves to check the stability against wind. Specially with longer exposures during night shots more unstable designs can move in the wind which results in unsharp pictures. Or when you take your shots on a higher building on the 22nd on the balcony for example, you will feel a lot of wind going around which hits your camera lens combination. This will result in unsharp pictures when the panohead is not stable enough.

First test I did was to test the panohead with and without a heavy camera. I took my D3 and my 300mm/f2.8, around 4,25kg, set the laser on the rails, and the rails did not move.

Second test was with a normal vent which brought me up to a speed of 2 beaufort. I discussed this with Nick and we thought that 5 beaufort would be a good wind speed. Now this is the result for it.

It proofs, that the Ultimate Modular Series, M1 or M2, is stable with a wind with minimum 5 beaufort. The camera lens combination does not begin to trill in such a wind going direct to this combination. I may stand a higher wind speed but I was not able to test a higher wind speed. As far as I know, this is the first wind test ever done to a panohead series, actually I did not see any other publication.

I did the test to check the quality of Nodal Ninja Panoheads. I compensated the overexposed pics I shot in raw to be able to compare the different shutter speed to proof that there is no movement or beginning trilling via resonance activated movements by the wind of the camera system. I can tell you, I had to clean up the room because a lot of backgrounds or smaller things in the room moved a lot or flew around.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 10-20-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Wow that's great....thank you for going to the time and trouble of doing this. ^ This is why i know I went for the right product (Nodal Ninja gear), what a very helpful forum.
    John
    Users Country Flag

Some illustrations to explain the Beaufort wind scale. :-) It will be great if we can test it in Beaufort 6.

Last edited by nick fan; 10-21-2013 at 05:02 AM.

Fanotec

Heinz shows us the M Series heads are very strong in themselves and the Beaufort Scale is very interesting.
    It has been my experience with both M1 and M2 that these heads are extremely stable due to robust build and construction. There is no flex of rails whatsoever in rails and rotators with lenses like the heavy Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR, or Nikon 80-400mm VR lens.

One huge advantage of manual over existing robotic systems is the stability factor. Robotics rely on the camera and lens settling in after rotating prior to shooting. Exceptions to this might be advanced robotics shooting on-the-fly during rotation using faster more expensive lenses. Any wind causing movement of camera/lens has to be compensated with higher ISO and faster shutter speeds but this can compromise image quality. Under windy conditions even the tripod can also effect stability with movement or bending of legs. Ideally a tripod should be weighted down and also tied down if possible. Shooting mosaics or multi-composite images with the Ultimate M series in windy situations gives user the ability to use his or her weight by resting arm on lens while shooting. It makes the shoot go quickly as user can manually stabilize lens/camera and counter act the wind with weight of arm.
    When did a shoot atop the 42 story Den Hauge Tower in The Netherlands (I remember the excellent dinner we all had :-) those winds atop the building had to be 40mph+ or force 8 on Beaufort scale. I still had to use high ISO and fast shutter speed but certainly doable with M1 / RD16-II.
    Using the Gigpan Epic and Epic Pro in winds above 5mph (force 2) becomes very challenging due to poor tripod mounting design - not sure of other robotics. Almost all wind conditions will produce occasionally higher gusts. This too is problematic if user sets things up and walks away, or reads a book, during 2+ hour shoot (common tendency) as gusts can and do affects results. Shooting manually forces user to attend to each individual image being shot.

Users Country Flag

Still remember the excellent dinner we had there. I think I was just 60%-70% full after the dinner. Maybe that is why it was so unforgettable. I wanted more! :-)

Nick

Fanotec

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Still remember the excellent dinner we had there. I think I was just 60%-70% full after the dinner. Maybe that is why it was so unforgettable. I wanted more! :-)
    Nick
    You know they served up some of the best oysters Kim and I ever had - and Heinz even went so far to buy us some to eat back at our accommodations - yum :-)
    Click here to see Nodal Ninja Team Dinner

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    was a great dinner and was really nice to meet us all there :)

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com
    Users Country Flag

Was a great evening and nice to to meet the whole group there. Thanks a lot again.:)

Heinz
  13. Anti lens shake device

Users Country Flag

Here is a tip for reducing lens shake, using a bean bag or a sock with rice inside it you place it over the lens above the axis of the tripod, not sure how this would work with the multi row setup but using just a nodal slide and the pano base it is great.

Thanks for all the effort Heinz another remarkable thread.
    Last edited by Kidraver; 10-27-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Users Country Flag

you mentioned that robotic pano heads are less stable, i would agree, i have an idea for a very stable robotic head, using a geared head with pan and tilt you connect a couple of step motors that are enclosed in a case to the head using those cables that run inside a covering, have not researched the cables much, but it would be really stable and capable of doing time lapse and stop shoot animation, an arduino card could be used to direct the movements.