NN Gear sugestions..

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN Gear sugestions..

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN Gear sugestions..

Hey everyone, new here, but not so new to panoramics (top 50's in epson pano awards).

So far I have been just using a tripod (mf 190) and a ball head ( markins qt-3), either rotating, shooting hand held or shift stitching with a 24mm tse mkII on a 5d2. The 5d2 has a RRS L plate attached which is staying! My lens line up is 14/2.8 ,17-40, 24tse, 50f1.4, 90/2.8. 70-200/2.8 and 400/5.6. I dont normally use the 400 for pano and only infrequently use the 70-200 (at all...)

Software I use/own PT Gui pro and photoshop cs6.

I've currently got a gigapan epic pro on loan that I am playing with and evaluating. I'm unconvinced.

So I'm looking for an easy to use packable multi row pano head setup. I dont tend to do 360's, little worlds etc but do shoot milky way panoramics and a lot of night shooting so it needs to be easy to use in the dark.

I see there are a number of options with NN. The M1 is an obvious choice but expensive and bulky? What are the other (arca swiss) options?

I will use the ball head as level and put an arca swiss plate on the rotator I guess for quick setup, not interested in a nadir thingey I susepct (for now).

Thanks for replies!
    Users Country Flag

M1 and M2 will suit your need.

RS2 will work for you too. You need a nodal slide with end clamp. Either 3rd party or our MFR160/170 with QRC-40A.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Thanks.

Whats the difference between the m1-l, m1-s and m2? Just size/strength? If so what would work for up to the 70-200?

The RS2 + slider + clamp look sok - downside is less strength/size for larger lenses?

I think I like the look of the RD-16 for the click stops (especially at night)

So choice between :

Ultimate M1-S w/RD16-II (F8204) currently $629.95

and

RS-2 Ring Mount Spherical Pano Head NO Lower Rotator (F9712) $224.95
    Advanced Rotator RD5 (F1162) $129.95
    Arca-Swiss Style Clamp 40mm Type B $50.00
    Ultimate M1/2 Rail 170mm (F8151) $65.00

Total of $470

?

ok another question - can these be rigged up for single row simple use as well? As in just 1 slider and rotator + clamp?
    Users Country Flag

for single row, you can get a RD16 + QRC-55 as the rotator. Then you just need a slide with clamp.
    RD5 has limited choice of detent. Not good for your gear.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread