Clamp knob hitting lower rail

Thread: Clamp knob hitting lower rail

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Clamp knob hitting lower rail

Hi
    Been finding the NPP point and found it at 156mm on the upper rail for my D800 with 14-24mm on. Trouble is when I go to shoot the Zenith shot the clamp knob hits the lower rail thus not letting me shoot straight up. I do have the Nadir adaptor on to raise it up but it's a few mm not raised enough. Is there any other way? Is there a clamp with a smaller (shorter) knob? Is there a longer vertical rail, I already have the longer upper and lower rails.
    Thanks
    John
    Last edited by Johnytuono; 08-28-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    Users Country Flag

Hi John,

Sorry to say, you have already tried the solution to come out of your problem: the Nadir Adapter. This normally raises the vertical rail to get freedom for the zenith shot. There is no other vertical rail to change it to.

Solution: shooting the Zenith, open up the upper rotator clamp, raise the upper rail, go to +90° pitch, and let the upper rail fall back to the correct URS. Close the upper rotator clamp and take the zenith shot. I hope this will work. I'll test it tomorrow.

Nick has made an extra block to raise the vertical height, but I think you can not adapt it to the nadir adapter because it is not designed to serve as an "in between" block between lower rail fixed to it by screws and the Nadir Adapter. This block is designed to be fixed to the lower rail and the vertical rail is attached by the vertical rail clamp. The block we would need, should have longer screws, going through the block to attach it to the bottom of the nadir adapter by the screws.

http://shop.nodalninja.com/m1l-m2-se...ical-extender/

As I said, I'll test the situation tomorrow.

Another solution would be to shoot 2x with the pitch blocked by the knob 180° visa versa.

So long,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 08-28-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Hi Heinz
    Yes I'd already thought of just raising the rail just for the zenith shot but then didn't want to mess about re-setting to the numbers....are you saying there's a stop screw I can put in place? I've already used the longish screw (the optional M5 screw) for the Nadir adaptor (I used the one from the M1 set as my adaptor didn't come with one). I think just a smaller knob on the clamp would be enough to clear the rail. Would a thin metal plate suffice?
    Btw very impressed with the panohead.....even without getting my Npp spot on I was impressed with how easy it was to set up and use and get far better results than I had been getting. Although the bag of screws can be a bit mis-sleading.
    Thanks
    John
    Users Country Flag

Hi John,

It's only a little that misses. I'll make a plate for us cause I need one too. There are no screws in the set that you could use.

Heinz

Hi Heinz
    Thanks I will be very interested.
    John
    Users Country Flag

Hi John,

Sorry to hear the issue. what camera plate are you using?
    I thought the vertical rail is pretty tall with the nadir adapter. Also even if you don't take a "zenith shot" at +90 deg, you should still be able to cover the zenith completely.
    There are some ready solutions. I made a spacer block for QRC-40A. With this block, you can reverse the QRC with handle pointing to the front. I am not sure this is convenient for your camera though. I can also try to make a shorter knob for you. But I think I can only shorten a few mm. How many mm clearance do you need?
    I can make you an integrated stop plate so that you can go to your preset NPP easily after sliding the rail up a bit for +90 deg up shot. I have been developing tools to allow customers to make stop plate themselves.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.