N4 Series Canon Body and Lens

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: N4 Series Canon Body and Lens

Share/Bookmark
  1. N4 Series Canon Body and Lens

Hello,
    I just registered. I am thinking of investing in pano equipment but have little experience other than rotating my ball head and looking in the view finder.

I am shooting with a Canon 5D MII and my wife has a 7D. The lens we share are a 17-40, 24-70, and 70-200. If I understand the models correctly the Ninja 4 line would support the both the 17-40, and 24-70 but not the 70-200. That is, the N4 series material says up to 35mm equivalent focal length and 25% overlap telephotos. So if the N 4 series would be strong enough to support the weight of the 5D MII I could only shoot up to 100mm with the 70-200.

Would the same be true in terms of lens with the 7D. It would work fine with the 17-40, 24-70, and be limited with the 70-200?

The higher cost option is the M-1 series seems to fit the 70-200. What are your experiences.? Do you tend to use the telephoto lens that often in the field? I enjoy doing landscapes and have little interest in commercial applications such as real estate at this time.

Do you have some suggestions for me to consider in the choice of equipment. Thanks,
    Ken
    Users Country Flag

Hi Ken and welcome to the forum.

The limitation are in weight and rail settings. I use a 70-200 of nikon. So I did not test the canon lenses. The limitation is in the length of rail of NN4.

For normal pano most of us shoot with fisheye lenses such 10.5 mm, 8 mm or 16 mm. This keeps shooting quite easy because you are off with 4 or 6 shots around and Zenith and Nadirs.

The problem shooting with longer lenses is that it takes more shots or even more then one row. That takes time and in a busy place that will take a lot of masking work. But you get a higher resolution.

In case you like to shoot longer lenses and do landscape and you like to use all of your lenses, I'd tend to think of an M2. It has a special upper rotator different from M1 and tit works with RD16II as well as RD8II. The upper rotator has no definite presets - M1 has a 7,5° detend rotation - and the lower rotators have an extra blue mark and the index ring can be moved. This will help you doing your landscapes.

In total NN4 is not so heavy but you can not use your whole equipment. M2 will be heavier and more expensive, but serves all your wishes.

Sometimes it is cheaper to spend some more money in the beginning than to upgrade later on. For real estate there are other solutions like RS-1.

http://www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc.htm

Calculate your shots around with different focal lengths and you might imagine what I am talking about.

I see you are from the US. Contact Bill and you may be able to test the models.

Kind regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 07-11-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Heinz,

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to go with the Ninja 4 series and will try to work within the limitations of the gear to see how it goes. Are there some general suggestions (choices) for software and a book that describes the basic of panoramic photography.

Thanks

Ken
    Users Country Flag

Most of us use PTGuiPro: www.PTGui.com

For the book you should have a look at amazon. I know a german one but that does not help you.

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Ken,

I use Autopano Giga, which is made for larger multi-row panos with telephoto lenses, but does equally well with spherical panos with fisheye lenses (I use Nikon with 10.5mm). You can find it at www.kolor.com.

The best book I have found is Virtual Reality Photography by Scott Highton. You can find it at www.vrphotography.com.

Good luck with your panos.

Steve
+ Reply to Thread