R1 or RS-1 on a Series 2 Pole

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R1 or RS-1 on a Series 2 Pole

Share/Bookmark
  1. R1 or RS-1 on a Series 2 Pole

I'm getting very close to purchasing a series 2 pole set - just trying to think through everything carefully. I will be using a Nikon D800/Nikkor 16mm, and already have a RS-1, RD16, ez leveler and Nadir adapter. To use the RS1 on the pole and as normal on a tripod I was thinking of putting a quick release on the pole and also between the RD16 and the RS-1 so that I can swap the RS-1 back and forth easily.

It occurred to me though that instead of buying 2 quick release sets, for 60 USD additional I could instead buy an R1 by itself and keep it on the pole. I know that I wouldn't be able to shoot a true Nadir with the R1 that way, but I wonder if I could shoot 6 roundshots and a zenith, stitch successfully and still have a reasonably small nadir hole. I currently shoot 6 roundshots at -10 and the zenith at +65 plus nadir. The 16mm had 137 degree HFOV, so mathematically it seems like the same pattern with roundshots at -12.5 or -15 and the zenith at +62.5 or +60 should work, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone offer some advice?
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mosleyh View Post
    I'm getting very close to purchasing a series 2 pole set - just trying to think through everything carefully. I will be using a Nikon D800/Nikkor 16mm, and already have a RS-1, RD16, ez leveler and Nadir adapter. To use the RS1 on the pole and as normal on a tripod I was thinking of putting a quick release on the pole and also between the RD16 and the RS-1 so that I can swap the RS-1 back and forth easily.

It occurred to me though that instead of buying 2 quick release sets, for 60 USD additional I could instead buy an R1 by itself and keep it on the pole. I know that I wouldn't be able to shoot a true Nadir with the R1 that way, but I wonder if I could shoot 6 roundshots and a zenith, stitch successfully and still have a reasonably small nadir hole. I currently shoot 6 roundshots at -10 and the zenith at +65 plus nadir. The 16mm had 137 degree HFOV, so mathematically it seems like the same pattern with roundshots at -12.5 or -15 and the zenith at +62.5 or +60 should work, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone offer some advice?
    You can mount the RS1 on R1 Pole Adapter or Quick Mount Mini adapter system (you will need extra QM adapter plate, one for RD16 and one for pole). Then you can mount RS1 on pole easily. QM is recommended for quick and safe connection.
    I will develop a tilting mechanism using automatic rewinding wire system for NN3/4/5, RS1/2. Then you won't need to lower and raise the pole during the panoramic sequences.

NIck

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Thanks Nick. I was visualizing use of the QM upside down, so that changes the equation a bit.

I'm still concerned with the size of the Nadir hole of the RS-1 vs the R1 when using a pole. What I'm trying to work out is:

1. Can I successfully use my current lens/camera combination with the R1 shooting 1 row of roundshots plus a zenith and have only a relatively small nadir hole to deal with?
    2. How big would the RS-1 Nadir hole be at full extension of the series 2 pole set? I suspect the larger lower rotator on the RS-1 would cause a large nadir hole at that height.

The tilting mechanism sounds great - I look forward to seeing it.
    Users Country Flag

Hi,

R1 is usually used set forward on the rail for 10-12 mm in front of NPP and shot with -15° pitch to get a small Nadir.

http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...ight=rs-1+pole

Have a look to this and you'll see what you like to see.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 06-27-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Exactly the feedback I was looking for! Thanks Heinz.

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hi,

R1 is usually used set forward on the rail for 10-12 mm in front of NPP and shot with -15° pitch to get a small Nadir.

http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...ight=rs-1+pole

Have a look to this and you'll see what you like to see.

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Just uploaded a set of pics to test the set up: 0°, +5°, +7.5°. Zenith +90° and 2x 60° 180° visa versa.

http://ge.tt/4gs9DPk/v/0

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 06-27-2013 at 08:56 AM.

That's awesome Heinz - thanks again!
    Users Country Flag

2. How big would the RS-1 Nadir hole be at full extension of the series 2 pole set? I suspect the larger lower rotator on the RS-1 would cause a large nadir hole at that height.
    You need to remove the RD16 and use it at the base. If you want to keep QM on it, you need 2 sets of QM system. One for the tripod adapter.

NIck

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Hi,

Some info about using the rotator with the Tripod Adapter:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3705 copy.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	939Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4242copy.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	940Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4041copy.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	941Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4035.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	942Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3698_induro-tripod.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	943Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3809.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	944Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4066.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	946Click image for larger version

Name:	R1-R10 Head Only Quick Release Version-5.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	947

Heinz

I know that I wouldn't be able to shoot a true Nadir with the R1 that way, but I wonder if I could shoot 6 roundshots and a zenith, stitch successfully and still have a reasonably small nadir hole.
    This is interesting to me , i wonder why cannot mosleyh use Ultimate R1/R10 Zenith / Nadir Adapter (http://shop.nodalninja.com/ultimate-...-adapter-f6112), i have not experienced this and I'm considering to buy it with R1, this why I'm asking, , i thought this adapter can solve the problem of stitching of the Nadir shoot
    Users Country Flag

RS1/2 is multi-row and is more flexible in the choice of lenses.

Fanotec

Hi nick
    I'm planning to purchase R1 for shooting car interior + using it on travel pole for landscape 360 panorama , it is recommended by some over RS for car interior due to compactness and weight ,is that right ? or i can use RS version for car interior easily too ? i will use widow method, my gear is Nikon d800 + sigma 15mm
    if i pick R1 why not using nadir adapter for R1 as descried on this thread (http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...-Nadir-Adapter ) to get proper stitching of nadir adapter ? is there any problem i will face , That is why i need some clarification on mosleyh phrase ( I could instead buy an R1 by itself and keep it on the pole. I know that I wouldn't be able to shoot a true Nadir with the R1 that way)
    Users Country Flag

for Nikon d800 + sigma 15mm, RS1/2 is more convenient. RS1 is not too bulky for car interior. You may want to get RD4/5 as the rotator if you want to mount it vertically--you need an easy to access pan lock.
    The nadir adapter for R1/ R10 is a multiple step process and are not precise (requires movement of cameras). R1/R10 is best limited for single row panos.

Nick

Fanotec

Thanks a lot nick
    i have already RD 16, can i use it with RS1 to save some money?
    what about the weight of my compo Nikon d800 + sigma 15mm on RS1 upper rail as addressed long time ago in this thread , (http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...nor-Suggestion)
    has this been fixed now ?
    Users Country Flag

Hi Egami,

Are you in Sudan?
    To use RS1 on RD16, you need to use a Quick Mount Mini adapter system, otherwise, you can ask for swapping the lower rail with a NN3II one. No disadvantage, just longer.
    Now, a second thought. If you don't have a lens ring for Sigma 15mm yet, You should get an NN3II No Lower Rotator instead. We build RS1/2 from existing parts for R1/R10 owners. Frankly, we don't sell many of them.
    The friction disk is replaced with new one. Do ask your dealer to confirm, I just check my stock of RS1, some still have one one.

Nick

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread