Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS II and Nodal Ninja M2 - Nodal point?

Thread: Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS II and Nodal Ninja M2 - Nodal point?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS II and Nodal Ninja M2 - Nodal point?

I set up a very cool little box, with a screwdriver poking out the top of the box, with a slit cut into a piece of cardboard that was placed behind the screwdriver. Using this setup I was very easily able to find the nodal points of my shorter lenses.

With my Canon 70-200, however, I found it next to impossible to figure it out at the long (135-200) end. Even looking through the viewfinder, as you move your head slightly (without moving the camera) you can see some parallax. I ended up just sort of "guessing" a value.

Any pointers for this lens? I have it mounted up using the tripod collar.

Ryan,

With your long lens use points that are much further apart.
    See:
    http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm
    http://hugha.co.uk/NodalPoint/Index....simple_method_...

Hugh.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan0751 View Post
    I set up a very cool little box, with a screwdriver poking out the top of the box, with a slit cut into a piece of cardboard that was placed behind the screwdriver. Using this setup I was very easily able to find the nodal points of my shorter lenses.

With my Canon 70-200, however, I found it next to impossible to figure it out at the long (135-200) end. Even looking through the viewfinder, as you move your head slightly (without moving the camera) you can see some parallax. I ended up just sort of "guessing" a value.

Any pointers for this lens? I have it mounted up using the tripod collar.
    Some tele lenses have NPP/ entrance pupil behind the sensor. If you set the lens at NPP, it will be very unstable. You have to decide whether it is necessary. If you are shooting far away scenes with no near objects, you can neglect NPP. Set the lens where the whole rig is more stable.

NIck

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.