Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new to NN - two questions

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. new to NN - two questions

Question

Long-time photographer just getting into pano, with 2 questions:

Id like to share a NN head with a couple of other photographers. They have full size DSLRs and I have a mirrorless, but may upgrade soon. Is there any reason one of the bigger NNs, like the 4 or M series, cant be used with my current camera?

Can I use an Acra Swiss style QR plate on the bottom of the rotator? My tripod has a RRS lever release clamp, and Id like the flexibility of that mounting.

Thanks!
    Users Country Flag

Bigger NNs work for mirrorless as well. Just more bulk and weight.

The bottom of rotator has 3/8" socket with 1/4" adapter. So it accepts any Arca plate with friction pad. NN4 Rotator and the RD16II and RD8II has 2 sockets at the base. You can mount a plate with 2 sliding 1/4" screws.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Thank you. That's very helpful. But of course, it leads to more questions!

How does one choose between the two rotators for the M? Are there certain projects or types of users that are more appropriate for one or the other? I know one is a lot taller than the other, but I'm not sure if/when that would be a consideration.
    Users Country Flag

Hi and welcome to the forum,

There is no reason why you can not use an NN4 or M1 rather than they will be a bit oversized.

Yes you can use your RRS lever release clamp at the bottom of rotators.

Ups, Nick has already answered these questions.

For normal panography we use the RD16II for fisheye lenses up to 70-200 for example to shoot spherical panos.
    It offers settings from 120 to 3.75.
    RD16II (120, 90, 60, 45, 36, 30, 24, 20, 18, 15, 12, 10, 7.5, 6, 5, 3.75)

The RD8II is designed for shooting Gigapixel landscapes and offers detend settings up to 2.
    RD8II (30, 15, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.5, 2) It is used with longer lenses.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 06-06-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks again. Looking at the photos of the M1-L and M1-S, it's really hard to compare them because they're shown at different angles.

Is the main difference that the top rail is 10mm shorter on the S?
    Users Country Flag

M1-S is half the rail as on M1-L in thickness. It is not as stable as M1-L rails. Rails are 160mm in place of 170mm or 210mm. Vertical rail is only 160 mm.

Have a look to M1-S and click on the picture. This will show you that the lower rail only has one row with a dove tail. M1-L has two dovetails, one on the top side and one on the lower side.

Overall I believe M1-S would be no option. I'd go for M1-L.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 06-07-2013 at 11:02 AM.
+ Reply to Thread