I need suggestions for configuration

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need suggestions for configuration

Share/Bookmark
  1. I need suggestions for configuration

NN looks like a great product, but I need some help wrapping my mind around all the options. Hope you can help.

I've shot a great deal in panoramic but tend to turn to film for it -- have a few swing lens panoramic cameras and Xpans. Now that my favorite films are being cut, I'm getting deeper into shooting digital & would love this groups' advice on which NN product is a good place to start.

My gear consist of Nikon d800 and Nikkor lenses: 16mm fish 2.8; 14 - 24 mm 2.8; 24 - 70 mm 2.8

I called NN to get some advice; the mention of the 14-24 mm [I didn't mention others at that point] pointed us to NN4. Then I came on a thread which suggested the longer 24-70 might call for the M series.

But then again it seems a lot of people love the 16mm nikkor for this kind of work -- would it be a good choice to make the 16 my exclusive pano-shooting lens and work with the R series? It sounds like the R-variety can work well on monopod as well as tripod which might work for a few projects where I need to shoot overheard. With other kinds of shooting, of course, there are benefits to having a variety of lenses, but for stitched-panos maybe I can just stick to 16 and there is little point in switching??

I shoot mostly for print and expect to be most interested in single row work like these:
    http://www.colinwinterbottom.com/pho...-merge-sep.jpg
    http://www.colinwinterbottom.com/photos/aq19-25-sep.jpg

But once I get going I might enjoy the spherical as well...

I'd appreciate some advice so I can make the best choice!

Colin

http://www.colinwinterbottom.com/
    Users Country Flag

Hi Colin and welcome to the forum.

16mm lens should be your favorite lens. But not with R1. With R1 it is difficult to shoot zenith and nadir in NPP. The new version instead is RS-1, where you use a lens ring in the upper rotator and can shoot zenith and nadir in NPP. It works on tripod as well as on pole/monopod.

To get higher resolution you should shoot 14-24. In case you want to shoot 24-70 as well, you should go for the M1-L instead of NN4.

So you should have two options: RS-1 with lens ring for 16mm Nikkor and a M1-L for your other lenses.

Have a look to Vincen's site for the 14-24, and to Wim's examples for the RS-1.

http://www.skivr.com/?lang=en

http://shop.nodalninja.com/iforum/

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6537.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	904Click image for larger version

Name:	R1-S_QMM_RD5_4.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	905Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6291-1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	906Click image for larger version

Name:	M1_NadirAdapter in Nadir1 Position.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	908Click image for larger version

Name:	M1_NadirAdapter in Nadir2 Position.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	909

Hope this helps,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 05-19-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions. I chose to go with the RS-1 largely for ease of use -- I need to work this into a project quickly. [After ordering I started to second-guess: I may like the NN4 with the 14-24 for more creative single-row shooting over spherical, but that's another story... ;~}....]

Having got the kit now, I am surprised no documentation exists. The product page points to the forum for guidance, but not to any particular page or thread -- thousands of posts in the forum could it be narrowed down a bit? I've looked around in the RS-1 forum [thinking there might be a sticky guide at top] but no clear starting point. Please provide some guidance. I've been excited to use the product but not off to a good start.
    Users Country Flag

Hi,
    You have to stick to the RS-1 threads.

For calibration have a look to R1.

You have to mount your lens ring in a different way because the plate has to show to the bottom of the body and not to the side.

Name:	DSC_6515 copy.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	912Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6513 copy.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	913Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6498 copy.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	914Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6294_1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	915Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6393.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	916Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6399.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	917

http://www.nodalninja.com/qr/r1-r10/...ltimate-r1/17/

RS-1 is a newer product and new designs are quicker than the new manuals. Sorry, the only weak point with NN.

Hey guys: has anyone of you have the lens ring settings for D800 16mm?

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 05-24-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post

Hey guys: has anyone of you have the lens ring settings for D800 16mm?

Heinz
    Mine is set for 2.4. Same for the lower rail (to the end of the stop plate)
    Users Country Flag

Thx mosleyh.

Thanks. I was actually more unsure of how all the pieces fit together, as no assembly instructions are included. Imagine Ikea sending you home with no instructions -- that's what this was like for me.

But my guesswork got me at least a standing, working piece (even if I still have a few washers and screws unused and allen wrenches I never touched). But like I say it works fairly well, but selling a product without instructions is troubling.

There is a second plate like the stop plate but which has some cork on it. I don't see it in any of the pics -- what's that used for? Should I find uses for the screws and washers? Bill at NN suggested some parts are only needed if I buy an accessory. But I will be using these at constructions sites hundreds of feet up, so I'd hate for it all to fall apart because one of those is a tightening screw or something.
    Users Country Flag

Hi,

It's the stop plate. Find your LRS and then push it against the vertical rail reference point to fix the position. In this pic it is moved aside and has to be moved towards the vertical rail.

Name:	DSC_6498 copy.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	921

Heinz

Mine came with the stop plate already in place and a second plate enclosed. So I will presume it's an extra.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cwphoto123 View Post
    Mine came with the stop plate already in place and a second plate enclosed. So I will presume it's an extra.
    Your package comes with extras/spare that you may need in a year or 2.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread