NN4 Upoer Rotator Locking

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN4 Upoer Rotator Locking

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN4 Upoer Rotator Locking

Users Country Flag

Lately, the upper rotator on my NN4 is getting stuck. Sometimes when I loosen the knob and wiggle it a little it will release with a loud pop. Other times, even if I completely remove the knob, I can't rotate the upper arm. I was shooting a series of 360s today and had to give up in the middle.
    Users Country Flag

Hi,

To be able to move the upper rotator, you have to open a gap between the two halves. On the left side you have teeth, on the right side you find the gap for them inside the rotator. When you move the rotator knob, the two halves should move apart at once.

Just check the gap, I am afraid you might have to send it to service. Where do you come from?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6728.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	880Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6725.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	881

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

The parts aren't separating on their own when I loosen the knob. I found that with no camera mounted, if I pull on them while loosening the knob I can get them to separate, usually with a loud click. With the weight of the camera when mounted, they won't separate. I'm in Japan. I was hoping there was something more I could do to possibly repair it on my own.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Nagoyajin,

When and where did you buy the NN4? I am ask your reseller to better diagnose your issue and offer solution.
    We have had the sticking issue in a small batch of units. But they revealed the issue early when customers used them. The problem is apparently solved by loosening the angular index ring on the upper rotator. Use the hex key in the package to loosen the ring. if this solves the issue, we will send you a special rings to solve the issue completely.
    There are 2 other possible issues that may result in sticky rotator. One is extremely low temperature (much lower than 0 deg C). are you using NN4 in low temp? The other is dirty or sand particle getting into the rotator. This will require cleaning.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Nick,
    I bought this from your online store last June so it shouldn't be from an early batch. Cold weather isn't the issue... it's t-shirt weather here now. I haven't used it in any sandy places so it seems unlikely that it's sand. It sticks whether or not I loosen index ring.

I removed the index ring to take a closer look and it even sticks when it's completely removed. While I could see the notches I tried testing it notch-by-notch and it sticks on every-tird notch. It looks like the mechanism is held in place by a U-ring that may require a special tool to remove. I'm guessing it's something I shoudn't try open myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-33.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	882  

Hi Nagoyajin,
    We are very sorry for the issues you are having. Just drop an email to {store at nodal ninja dot com} and we'll send you out replacement vertical rail with upper rotator. We'll also send you out replacement with prepaid envelope to return the old.

@Nick - fyi this NN4 was purchased June 2012
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Hi Nagoyajin,
    We are very sorry for the issues you are having. Just drop an email to {store at nodal ninja dot com} and we'll send you out replacement vertical rail with upper rotator. We'll also send you out replacement with prepaid envelope to return the old.

@Nick - fyi this NN4 was purchased June 2012
    This is the first time we have heard of this issue. I will find out the reason of lock up when I get the returned unit.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Thanks Nick and Bill. As always your service is excellent.
+ Reply to Thread