Pole Panoramas with a rectilinear lens?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pole Panoramas with a rectilinear lens?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Pole Panoramas with a rectilinear lens?

I posted this before but I think the subject may have been a bit too vague. . .

I'm looking at a pole system for a possible upcoming project. I have a very basic question - how workable is pole shooting with a camera/lens combo (D800e/Nikkor 16mm in my case) that requires Nadir and Zenith shots? Having never tried a pole setup, it would seem to be exceptionally difficult - especially the nadir(s). Wondering if I'd be better off purchasing a true fisheye and sacrificing some resolution.
    Users Country Flag

with a rigid tripod and tripod adapter, it is doable for 3 rows if you have the patience. It depends on how many panos you want to make in a short time.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Now that I have my gear I've been experimenting but I'm also interested in hearing advice from the experts:

I have a Pole 2 set/RS-1 with Nadir adapter/Nikon D800e/Nikkor16mm.

The standard shooting pattern for the 16mm/D800e is 6 roundshots+nadir+zenith. What I'm looking for is suggestions on shooting the nadir/zenith:

Shoot from ground level and use viewpoint correction to stitch?

Retract the pole, change camera angle, re-extend and shoot from there? (Sending the camera back up on an extended nadir adapter feels less than optimal to me but that could be beginner nerves)
+ Reply to Thread