Using NNJ 5 with Nikon body and 70-200 VRII lens - Too unstable?

Thread: Using NNJ 5 with Nikon body and 70-200 VRII lens - Too unstable?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Using NNJ 5 with Nikon body and 70-200 VRII lens - Too unstable?

Hi there,

I have used my NNJ 5 with my Nikon 70-200 VRII lens with limited success. The head is just not stable enough to use telephoto lenses it seems. I attached the camera by the tripod collar, not to the camera body, but the lens doesn't stay completely level over time, the front slides down slightly. Also, the slightest wind just shakes the whole setup too much and ruins the shots. I am shooting mostly at night and often in moderate winds. Has anyone figured out a stable setup to use this head with a Nikon body and tele lens? I have seen that some people invert the top rail and shoot backwards...but how does that affect the nodal point? As an aside...I have never been able to find a proper nodal point for the 70-200 VRII lens except at 70mm. At 110-200mm it doesn;t seem to have any correct nodal point. Any help is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewNYC View Post
    Hi there,
    I have used my NNJ 5 with my Nikon 70-200 VRII lens with limited success. The head is just not stable enough to use telephoto lenses it seems. I attached the camera by the tripod collar, not to the camera body, but the lens doesn't stay completely level over time, the front slides down slightly. Also, the slightest wind just shakes the whole setup too much and ruins the shots. I am shooting mostly at night and often in moderate winds. Has anyone figured out a stable setup to use this head with a Nikon body and tele lens? I have seen that some people invert the top rail and shoot backwards...but how does that affect the nodal point? As an aside...I have never been able to find a proper nodal point for the 70-200 VRII lens except at 70mm. At 110-200mm it doesn;t seem to have any correct nodal point. Any help is appreciated!
    Hi Andrew,
    Welcome to the forum.
    The NN5 has been discontinued and replaced by the NN4. The rails on NN5 are longer and those attempting to use longer lenses like the 70-200 will notice the upper rail torquing a bit under the stress. For lenses of this length you should use the M series. Much stronger and robust the M1-L will easily handle your lens.
    http://shop.nodalninja.com/ultimate-m/

Cheers
    Bill
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewNYC View Post
    Hi there,

NPP is not important for distant objects. So you can try to stabilize the lens by mounting it at the center of gravity of your lens and camera.
    NN5 is indeed not able enough for tele photo lens in LOW LIGHT situation. That is why we developed the Ultimate M1/2.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Andrew,

here are the settings:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nodal Ninja Data Base 70-200.xlsx.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	856

You have to throw over the upper rail to the front of you for the red marked settings and mount the lens to the front. Some of the settings are situated even behind the sensor. I used the lens collar and fixed it to the thread to the lens cap side. Test the settings and you will see that it is more stable.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 04-18-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks for the reply Heinz, it's very helpful and I will try it out. To me it seems that the NNJ 5 is not really designed for such heavy lenses though, I wish I had know beforehand and I would have bought the Ultimate M1/2.
    Users Country Flag

It is the line of design that brings new models. There is always a question for an NN5 because of it's design. May be you can sell it on your own or trade it in. Ask Bill about possibilities.

Heinz

Thanks Nick...yes I am usually shooting long exposure shots and with any wind involved it simply isn't stable enough. I really wish I had known and I would have bought the Ultimate series and not NNJ5