Which panoramic head is right for me?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which panoramic head is right for me?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Which panoramic head is right for me?

Users Country Flag
    Question

Hi,
    I want to shoot more and better panoramic photos and looking for a good panoramic tripod head
    I heard of Nodal Ninja 3. This head is described as the best travel adapter, because it is small and light.

So after I have ordered one I discovered a calculation of whether the Nodal Ninja 3 is suitable for the used camera and lens combination on a German site (http://www.pano-store.de/kaufberatung/berechnungen - and scroll down). And I was shocked, because for my Olympus E-5/E-3 with Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 2.8-3.5 and Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 2.8-4.0 SWD), the result was always the same: The Nodal Ninja 3 can not be used, the Nodal Ninja 5 is suitable.

But in some forums I have found the recommendation to other users with Olympus E-3 + Zuiko Digital 11-22mm, the Nodal Ninja can be used for this.

Of course, I am totally confused now, especially because the Nodal Ninja 5 was discontinued and replaced by the smaller Nodal Ninja 4.

Please, can you help me and tell me what Nodal Ninja I can use with my Olympus E-5/E-3 + ZUIKO DIGITAL 11-22mm 2.8-3.5 and ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-60mm 2.8-4.0 SWD can use: 3 Nodal Ninja or nodal Ninja 4 or neither? Unfortunately I can not try it by myself, because I have to order it on the Internet.

Thank you,
    Charlie
    P.S.: Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.
    Users Country Flag

It's hard to say, because for some of your lenses the upper rail of NN4 might be too short. As far as I know Olympus gives away the NPP of their lenses. Ask them for it.

Then you have to measure H of your camera. http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database With this you can figure out your LRS = lower rail setting. H + 13mm for offset of reference point of vertical rail on lower rail.

But ask your local reseller, some of them still have NN5 Factory irregulars. May be SKiVR in FR has one on stock? The website says there is one without rotator. Add a RD16II and off you go.

http://shop.nodalninja.com/irregulars-discontinued/

Shipping form US is expansive plus you have to pay douane and taxes as well. Where do you come form?

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 04-01-2013 at 12:54 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Dear Heinz,
    thanks for your answer. I am from Austria, I've added the flag in my profile.

There is a table for Zuiko lenses (http://olypedia.de/Nodalpunkte_E_System - in German), but I will not really smart of it. The tripod mount height (H) for the E-5/E-3 I haven't found anywhere, so I will send an email to Olympus. Unfortunately, I could not find any dealer outside the U.S., which still has a Nodal Ninja 5 in stock. I will contact the dealer in Austria (www.thaler-design.com) and in Germany (www.pano-store.de). SKiVR in FR seems to have no more NN5.

If the NN4 is too small or too risky for my equipment, I should probably take the M1-L. The price is certainly much higher (about € 633,52), but if the NN4 does not fit, either I will shoot no or few panoramas or sooner or later I will upgrade to M1-L. That would be twice as expensive.

Or I could buy a suitable fiseye lens for the NN4. The Zuiko 8mm fisheye is more expensive than the M1-L (€ 729.99) and for FT-cameras there are only a few lenses from third party manufacturers that provide good quality. The costs of such a lens + NN4 would be as high as for the M1-L.

I think I should think about this investment nor accurate.

Sincerely,
    Charlie
  4. Which panoramic head is right for me?

Users Country Flag

Dear Heinz,
    I think that even the M1-L will not fit, because the dimensions of the rails are even shorter than in NN4

I will contact my local dealer in Austria. Then he will hopefully tell me what's right for my equipment and what he wants to sell me.

Regards,
    Charlie
    Last edited by Charlie64; 04-01-2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: URL added
    Users Country Flag

Hi Charlie,

the M1-L will fit because it is send with a MFR170 = 170mm and a MFR210 = 210mm. The length of the lower rail depends on your Camera body, in most cases you can work with MFR170. I know the length of the M1-L rails are longer than those of the NN4.

@Vincen or Mauro, do you have a NN5L factory irregular in stock?

Heinz
  6. Which panoramic head is right for me?

Users Country Flag

Hi Heinz,
    thanks for your answers and your patience with me.

I measured: H = 42mm and LRS = 55mm. But what does that help me with the problem, which Nodal Ninja I need? Sorry, but I'm just more confused, because the dimensions in the picture above are wrong indeed. The more I research, the more confused I become.

Zuiko 12-60mm:
    Length = 98.5mm
    NPP at 12mm = 112mm + 4mm (distance from sensor level to tripod screw) = 116mm
    NPP at 60mm = 60mm + 4mm (distance from sensor level to tripod screw) = 64mm
    Zuiko 11-22mm:
    Length = 92.5mm
    NPP at 11mm = 113mm + 4mm (distance from sensor level to tripod screw) = 117mm
    NPP at 22mm = 98mm + 4mm (distance from sensor level to tripod screw) = 102mm

Are these values ​​important or useful for the solution of my problem?
    Regards,
    Charlie
    Last edited by Charlie64; 04-01-2013 at 10:11 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Charlie,

You can measure H yourself: from the bottom of the camera to the center of the lens release button.
    Add 13mm for offset of NN4.

Heinz
+ Reply to Thread