RS-1 upper rotator

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RS-1 upper rotator

Share/Bookmark
  1. RS-1 upper rotator

hi all,

no sepatate forum list for the RS-1 yet, so dumped this in here....

Good bit of kit, as usual, from Fanotec. Only disappointment is positive stops on upper rotator as per NN4. Any way the upper rotator from the NN4 (or even the NN5) with 15 degree stops can be incorporated into the upper rotator of the RS-1...?

cheers

Stu
    Users Country Flag

Hi Stu,

There is already a R1-S Custom Head in the list.

I re checked the upper rotator for you and it has 5° Step Marks on the detend ring. This also incorporates a 15° step in the upper rotator.

Cheer,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 03-05-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hi Stu,

I re checked the upper rotator for you and it has 5° Step Marks on the detend ring. This also incorporates a 15° step in the upper rotator.

Cheer,
    Heinz
    Hi Heinz,

thanks for the swift reply. Already a Custom Head on what list - a wish / development list....? Is this already available then?

I have received an R1-S from Tony @ Red Door today - so know it has 5 degree steps on the detend ring - but is fluid, not with positive stops like the NN4 / standard NN5. As the R1-S incorporates parts / elements from the NN3 / NN5, can the upper rotator be swapped out?

cheers

Stu
    Users Country Flag

Hi Stu,

The design is with a "fluid Rotator". The rotator has the advantage to set it manually to any set up you like to. For example 7,5°. The whole design is made to present the smallest design as possible. Because it is used with clamp design, this is the smallest design with a rotator as possible. If you look to the an NN4 Rotator, it has to have a minimum size to allow the upper rail to step into the "gaps in the upper rotator". In this case the upper rotator has to have a bigger size. The clamp connection offers the possibility to move the camera with the lens ring in a place where the weight is nearly in balance. So I like this compromise to offer more settings - for example 7,5° - with a small size.

May be Nick will think about adapting parts of NN4 into the rotator. But is is always a question of size.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 03-05-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Hi Heinz,

thanks for the detailed reply. I understand now...! I don't have a NN4 - I use an M1-L - so am not able to compare parts, but the construction of the RS-1 does look similar in design to the NN3 / NN5. Shame, as positive stops would be useful for a lightweight head with more repeatable / template stitching able to do nadir at NPP. This is the reason I upgraded over the years from NN3 to NN5 to M1-L.......

PS - have found the RS-1 in the list - so can this thread please be moved there out of NN4 list - thanks!

Stu
    Users Country Flag

Hi Stalwart,

To get a good nadir stitch, you can use the NN3 NN4 NN5 Nadir Adapter as well on the R1-S.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6393.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	809Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6399.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	810Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6417.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	811

R1-S is a "derivate from NN3". Smaller and lighter. Everything is a compromise, sorry to say.

Enjoy your equipment.
    Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stalwart View Post
    Hi Heinz,

thanks for the detailed reply. I understand now...! I don't have a NN4 - I use an M1-L - so am not able to compare parts, but the construction of the RS-1 does look similar in design to the NN3 / NN5. Shame, as positive stops would be useful for a lightweight head with more repeatable / template stitching able to do nadir at NPP. This is the reason I upgraded over the years from NN3 to NN5 to M1-L.......

PS - have found the RS-1 in the list - so can this thread please be moved there out of NN4 list - thanks!

Stu
    Hi Stu,

Indeed, we can have an RS-2 that use parts from NN4. It will have 15 deg stops. I will make it available at the end of this month.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Hi Stu,

Indeed, we can have an RS-2 that use parts from NN4. It will have 15 deg stops. I will make it available at the end of this month.

Nick
    Hi Nick,

That is great news! I use an M1-L but that is an overkill really for a 5DMkII with 8 / 15mm on. An RS-1 with definite click stops will be a great compromise. Will I be able to adapt my RS-1, or will the RS-2 be totally different. Only ask as I haven't yet used the RS-1, so will probably return to Tony at Red Door VR here in the UK and swap.....

cheers

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    can this thread please be moved to the R1-S list....?

thanks

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    It will have 15 deg stops.
    PS - any chance of shallower stops say @ 7.5 degrees....? Just useful for 550d / Sigma 8mm combo as per my R10 for closing the zenith......

Also, once available, how soon would you be shipping to your resellers (i.e. Tony @ Red Door in UK?)

Stu
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stalwart View Post
    PS - any chance of shallower stops say @ 7.5 degrees....? Just useful for 550d / Sigma 8mm combo as per my R10 for closing the zenith......

Also, once available, how soon would you be shipping to your resellers (i.e. Tony @ Red Door in UK?)

Stu

The NN4 and hence RS2 has options to offset the rotator angle by 5/7.5/10 deg. So you can have +/-5/7.5/10 deg for single row spherical using (cropped) circular fisheye.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

I hope the RS2-clamp will be a little longer than the one on RS1 to adjust the NPP. The images above look like the NPP should be near the golden ring...
    Users Country Flag

The clamp is the same. Clamping is very secured even with 20mm contact. So It should not be issue. We can also offer longer lens ring plate if larger adjstment distance is needed. Let me know if you find any problem. I have sent one RS2 No Lower Rotator to Red Door. You can use RD16II or RD5 with it. RS2 with default rotator (same as NN4/5) will be available next 2 weeks.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

The NPP for the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye lens is just behind the gold ring. Some people use the gold ring, and it works for them. Once you have found the proper NPP, there is just enough space on the lens ring plate to attach a Stop Plate (NN F2106) so you attach the lens accurately every time. If the upper clamp were any longer, you wouldn't be able to use the Stop Plate, and you would have to use the lines on the clamp and the scale on the ring plate to set your NPP each time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stop-plate.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	838Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper-clamp.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	839Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper-clamp2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	840

Steve Daniels
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Users Country Flag

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing. In fact, I can make integrated stop plates that snaps to the lens ring plate if customers provide me the setting.

Nick

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread