R-D3L EZ-Leveler-II 6-8-30 bubble drift

Thread: R-D3L EZ-Leveler-II 6-8-30 bubble drift

Share/Bookmark
  1. R-D3L EZ-Leveler-II 6-8-30 bubble drift

I am a newbie to panorama photography and NN. Finally got down to using my NN4 and R-D3L EZ-Leveler-II 6-8-30 and I have a problem levelling the R-DL3 and hoped someone might be able to help.

Following the instructions in the manual. I get the bubble on the level centralised but as I rotate the head through 90, 180 and 270 degrees the bubble drifts off before returning to a central position when I turn it back to 0. I understand that the level is very sensitive but the bubble is part outside the reference circle at some points. I have checked this on a solid floor and with 2 different tripods.

Has anyone else experienced this level of drift?

Thanks in advance.

Also a newbie and I saw the same thing with my new RS-1. Here's my thread and the answer I got:

http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...1-bubble-level
    Users Country Flag

first of all, you need to read the level by viewing perpendicularly above the level. If your first ready is off, the reading at 90/18/270 deg will be WAY off. The error (movement of bubble) is doubled at 180 deg for example. Also, if the tripod is not rigid enough, it will also cause shift of level. Believe it or not, some (I guess most) tripods do not have same stability in all direction.
    if you want to test the accuracy of bubble. Hang a heavy weight to the tripod. Mount the NN with lower rail only. Disable the detent click stop if possible. Look at the bubble directly above. Level it. Turn the rail by 90/180/270 deg. If it move out of circle, you can contact us for replacement of rail.
    However, most pros will advise not to be too concerned about the accuracy of level. A slight drift in level is not obvious in most situations. It can be adjusted in software if needed.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Thanks for that. Did you see the reply I got from Nick?
    Users Country Flag

For some reason my reply got deleted.
    Car interiors are sometimes shot with the pano head poking into the driver's side window at 90 degrees. A bubble level is best used as a reference for the first shot. Unless everything about the pano head is absolutely spot on, you will get some drift. My first pano head (not a Nodal Ninja product) drifted quite a bit.
    Level your rig for the first shot. Do not adjust anything as you capture your sequence. It is more important to have your rig properly calibrated than to rely on a drifting bubble level. You will be able to fine tune your panorama during the stitching process.
    There is no reason you should not be able to get wonderful results with your current setup.