Which Ultimate M Series to get

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Ultimate M Series to get

Share/Bookmark
  1. Which Ultimate M Series to get

I'm planning on getting M series as soon as I can sell my early version of the NN3. I used the NN3 with a Nikon D200 and D300, with a Nikon 24mm f/2.8 D lens. I now have a D600 with the following Nikon lenses:

24mm f/2.8D
    50mm f/1.4G
    105mm f/2.8D
    70-200 f/2.8G VRII
    300mm f/4D

I need to get a better pano head so that I can use the 70-200mm and possibly the 300mm. Which system, the M1-L or the M2, would be better for my current equipment. I plan to add a wide angel lens and the 85mm 1.4G lens sometime in the future.

If I go with the M1-L should I get the optional 210mm rail? I know I will need to get the QRC-40B to be able to use the Kirk replacement foot on the 70-200.

Thanks,

-Mark-

P.S.: I want to take advantage of the trade-in program for the NN3 but I cannot find the original invoice. Fanotec support is also having trouble finding the invoice. If I need to sell the NN3 (pre-Feb 2008 version), what can I expect to get for it on the used market?
    Last edited by MJPage; 02-19-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    Users Country Flag

I guess you are more likely to making high resolution landscape mosaics than making 360 x180 deg spherical panos. In that case, you should get the M2. You can use it as gimbal arm for your 70-200mm and 300mm too.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Mark,

I'd like to advice the M2 for you.

In place of using and extra QRC40B, I'd would go with the normal MFR210 to use it with M1-L or M2. In both cases you can use it better on the MFR210 than with an additional QRC40B. Be aware that you have to check your LRS for this case new.

Heinz

Heinz,

I'm not clear on you advice concerning the QRC40B. I thought the QRC40B was necessary to use the bracket on the lens collar because it has the opposite orientation than the bracket on the camera. I'm also not sure what you meant by be "aware that you have to check your LRS for this case new".

Nick also recommended the M2, so I am leaning towards it.

-Mark-

Nick,

Yes I am more interested landscape mosaics than spherical panos. What is the advantage of the gimbal arm for my 70-200mm and 300mm lenses?

-Mark-
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MJPage View Post
    Nick,

Yes I am more interested landscape mosaics than spherical panos. What is the advantage of the gimbal arm for my 70-200mm and 300mm lenses?

-Mark-
    A gimbal arm is good for fluid panning when taking photos of moving objects such as wild-lives.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Mark,

It is possible to mount the MFR210 for example directly on to the lens ring collar.
    This offers you the possibility to work nearly in weight of the whole system.

Therefor you do not need the clamp upside down. Like demonstrated in the pics.

Because the distance and the built up is different from the normal set up, you will get another LRS = Lower Rail Setting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6810.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	804Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6813.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	802Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6817.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	805Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6796.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	801Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6802.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	803

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 02-20-2013 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    I guess you are more likely to making high resolution landscape . . .
    Nick,

What is the primary reason to use a larger than 100mm telephoto for panoramas? Is it just to get higher resolution images, allowing extremely large prints?
    Last edited by MJPage; 02-20-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Heinz,

Thanks for the information. How solid is the connection using this method?

I need to do a lot of thinking before I decide. The M2 comes with the RD8-II, but it only has 8 stops positions. It does not have a 20 stop position. I believe that my 50mm needs 20 stops in the portrait orientation. The RD16-II that comes with the M1-L has 16 stops. I want to be able to use my 24mm and 50mm lenses, in addition to a future wide-angle lens. If I'm not mistaken, the RD8-II may not accommodate these lenses.
    Users Country Flag

Nick,

What is the primary reason to use a larger than 100mm telephoto for panoramas? Is it just to get higher resolution images, allowing extremely large prints?
    yes, the longer focal length, the higher resolution, the larger you can print, the closer you can zoom. We now see 8K resolution display which is capable of showing 33MP!
    I got a request to make a pano head to support 800mm lens a few years ago! They use it to shoot remote lanscape.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Heinz,

Thanks for the information. How solid is the connection using this method?

I need to do a lot of thinking before I decide. The M2 comes with the RD8-II, but it only has 8 stops positions. It does not have a 20 stop position. I believe that my 50mm needs 20 stops in the portrait orientation. The RD16-II that comes with the M1-L has 16 stops. I want to be able to use my 24mm and 50mm lenses, in addition to a future wide-angle lens. If I'm not mistaken, the RD8-II may not accommodate these lenses.
    Your Nikon lens collar shoe has 2 1/4" sockets. Using them you get very secured connection. We are releasing new stops for the rails as well. So it will be very secure to use one mounting screw as well.
    You can always skip the stops by one or two. It is easily manageable.
    If you don't plan to use longer than 300mm, get the RD16II.

Nick

Fanotec

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    If you don't plan to use longer than 300mm, get the RD16II.

Nick
    Nick,

I probably won't shoot with the 70-200mm or the 300mm very often, but I would like the option to use them on occasion. I'm sending back the NN3 tomorrow for the trade-in, so I have a few days to decide on the new head. I do have a few questions before I decide:

1. Is the RD16II an option with the M2?
    2. Will the M2 function as a gimbal with the RD16II.
    3. Even though you can mount a lens collar without the QRC40B, is the QRC40B the best method. I do not mind spending $50 for the convenience.

I suppose I could wait until I have the new head to decide on the QRC40B and order it later.

I appreciate all you help,

-Mark-
    Users Country Flag

Nick,

I probably won't shoot with the 70-200mm or the 300mm very often, but I would like the option to use them on occasion. I'm sending back the NN3 tomorrow for the trade-in, so I have a few days to decide on the new head. I do have a few questions before I decide:

1. Is the RD16II an option with the M2?
    2. Will the M2 function as a gimbal with the RD16II.
    3. Even though you can mount a lens collar without the QRC40B, is the QRC40B the best method. I do not mind spending $50 for the convenience.

I suppose I could wait until I have the new head to decide on the QRC40B and order it later.

I appreciate all you help,

-Mark-
    yes, RD16II works the same. It is one of the option.
    If your lens collar has an Arca style plate already, you may attach ANOTHER QRC-40A on the rail with the dovetails in parallel. This way you can use lens collar and Arca style camera plate (usually dovetail perpendicular to rail) at the same time.

Nick

Fanotec

Nick,

Do you every sleep? :)

I sent Mauro Contrafatto an Email message to find the cost of the M2 with the RD16-II Rotator. I have a Kirk plate for the 300mm, and I have a Kirk replacement foot-plate for the 70-200mm. If the QRC-40A is a better choice than the QRC-40B I will order it with the M2. I thought the QRC-40B was the clamp to use with a Arca style plate on the lens collar. I have the Kirk L-Bracket on my D600.

I think the M2 with the a RD16-II Rotator will fit my needs perfectly. I would have the option of using my smaller lenses and my larger lenses. I think I need 20 stops for my best lens, the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G.

Thanks,

-Mark-
    Last edited by MJPage; 02-21-2013 at 06:15 AM.

I decided on the Fanotec equipment and will be ordering on Sunday or Monday. Please let me know if I should consider any other configuration, given my equipment and intended shooting needs.

M2 with the RD16-II Rotator
    A second QRC-40A Clamp
    EZ Leveler II

I plan to shoot landscape panoramas up to 240 degrees, but many around 180 degrees. I will shoot scenes like mountains, lakes, oceans, and city skylines. I will also shoot architectural interiors and exteriors. I have a Nikon D600. I will shoot with a 24mm f/2.8D, a 50mm f/1.4G, or a 105mm f/2.8D (75 percent of the time). I will also use a 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII and a 300mm ED f/4 the rest to the time.

The Nikon D600 has a very nice Virtual Horizon that displays on the camera's monitor. It looks like the display on an aircraft. It will be a simple matter to get accurate horizontal shots with the EZ Leveler II and the Virtual Horizon.

Here are a few panoramas that I shot with a Nikon D200 and a Nodal Ninja 3 (pre-February 2007 version) several years ago for a contractor client who wanted to document his masterpiece. I used PTGui to stitch the images:

This last one is around a 240 degree view. The carport on the right of the images was actually behind me.

-Mark-
    Last edited by MJPage; 02-24-2013 at 04:27 AM.
+ Reply to Thread