NN3 vs R1/R10

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN3 vs R1/R10

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN3 vs R1/R10

Hello

I have been reading a lot in this forum, so thanks to Nick, Win, Bill, Hans and others for sharing. At present time i work with my Nikon D700,Sigma 8mm, using the NN3 with EZ leveler and Nadir adapter. But now i want to step UP and start with the art off making panos on a pole.
    My check list says:

Pole series 2
    Pole rotater 45
    Tripod Adapter Type B
    Quick Mount Mini Adapter

I love making panos in the dark, so using it with my tripod is a must. BUT do i need to buy the R1 or R10?
    Is there anybody out there who works on the same gear, i mean NN3 on a complet series 2 pole. And can i still just use my Nadir adapter to make Nadir shots as i just to.

Thanks and best regards
    Brian

Hello Brian,

There is no need for buying a R1 or R10, after dismantling the rotator you can use your NN3 on top of the pole.
    You can use the nadir adapter but there is no real need for it, when moving the tripod a bit you can shoot a nadir patch out of the NPP of the lens, the large distance between the camera and the ground makes that the parallax is much less and often is no issue at all.

Although the combination of series 2 pole and tripod adapter is pretty sturdy for your purpose (shooting in the dark) it is best to add a guy wire system to the pole to avoid blurry images when shooting with long exposure times.
    The Fanotec guy wire system is not yet available, I expect Nick Fan can tell more about it.

Wim
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wim.Koornneef View Post
    Hello Brian,

There is no need for buying a R1 or R10, after dismantling the rotator you can use your NN3 on top of the pole.
    You can use the nadir adapter but there is no real need for it, when moving the tripod a bit you can shoot a nadir patch out of the NPP of the lens, the large distance between the camera and the ground makes that the parallax is much less and often is no issue at all.

Although the combination of series 2 pole and tripod adapter is pretty sturdy for your purpose (shooting in the dark) it is best to add a guy wire system to the pole to avoid blurry images when shooting with long exposure times.
    The Fanotec guy wire system is not yet available, I expect Nick Fan can tell more about it.

Wim
    Hi Brian,

I agree with Wim. Using the nadir adapter just adds trouble when shooting in dark. It is much easier to clone the nadir foot print unless it is of special interest.
    We are releasing the guy wire system in a month or 2. I have tested it on a 2.5 kg dummy camera, it stabilize the camera much quicker after each turn and is much more steady. Not sure how slow a shutter speed it can support though. But a modern DSLR such as D700 should provide high enough shutter speed with good iso 3200/6400 image quality.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Hello and thanks for your reply. It gives a little to think about.
    In any case, I will now send my order off and can only be delighted to get the equipment.

You will soon see something from me :-)

Brian

Hi Nick

Today my gear pole pano system arrived :-) But, it looks like my tripod's center is 34 mm, (velbon 538) so i can't get the bottum of the tripod adapter Type B to fit. 32 mm is max, is it not?

Brian
    Users Country Flag

this is your tripod?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0pqXAT2KYQ

I don't think it is going to work with Tripod Adapter B. Typ A make work. The thread on the center column is 1/4" or M6?

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Hi Nick

A new tripod is on it way :-) Thanks for your time. Here you can see my first pole test, without the tripod. http://www.panorama360.dk/test_pole/...rtualtour.html

Brian
+ Reply to Thread