How to block the rotator?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to block the rotator?

Share/Bookmark
  1. How to block the rotator?

Hi all,

I'm using the NN3 MKII with the built-in EZ-Leveler-II. Maybe I'm missing something fundamental, but when I pick the tripod up for the final nadir shot, the camera rotates away from where I want to shoot!
    My old pano head was stiff and would hold the weight.
    I have successfully used a wedge of cardboard.

Is there a way to block the rotator for this?
    How else should it be done?

thanks for any tips!
    Users Country Flag

the rotator has no lock. Maybe I can make an addon lock.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Hi Nick,

thank you for your answer.

I only consider it an inconvenience as this has been my way of working to date.
    I really appreciate the NN and leveler - great quality and machining and as nobody else seems to have this problem, I can safely assume people have different solutions for the nadir shot.

If you do make a lock, I'd love to check it out!

Thanks again
    Users Country Flag

Hi,

You could try to fix the rotator when moving it by using your right hand to fix the lower rail against moving. For Nadir2 shot you have to move the tripod to the left. Use your right hand, place some fingers inside the leveler and fix the lower rail with your thumb. Use your left hand on the third leg of the tripod. This way you might be able to lift and move the tripod safely from Nadir1 to Nadir2 position. Because this rotator is quite flat, you should be able to fix the lower rail in between thumb on top and and first finger inside leveller of your hand. The bow in between them will prevent the lower rail from moving towards you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NNadaptor1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	770

Hope this helps till there might be a lock knob.
    Heinz

BTW: might be nice to add a country flag for us to give better advice.
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 01-26-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bisams View Post
    Hi all,

I'm using the NN3 MKII with the built-in EZ-Leveler-II. Maybe I'm missing something fundamental, but when I pick the tripod up for the final nadir shot, the camera rotates away from where I want to shoot!
    My old pano head was stiff and would hold the weight.
    I have successfully used a wedge of cardboard.

Is there a way to block the rotator for this?
    How else should it be done?

thanks for any tips!
    Can you increase the tension on the detent pin? Or just tighten the center screw? Is the MKII rotator that much different than the original NN3 rotator?

Thanks for your tip hindenhaag. Took me a while to understand quite what you meant, but your pic makes sense now. I'll have to do some experimenting.

DemonDuck, I have tried to find a way of increasing pressure both to the axis and the detent pin, but I had no luck.

O
    Thanks for your tip hindenhaag. Took me a while to understand quite what you meant, but your pic makes sense now. I'll have to do some experimenting.

DemonDuck, I have tried to find a way of increasing pressure both to the axis and the detent pin, but I had no luck.
    On the MKI rotator, there is a little hex screw on the underside that pushes the detente pin up. The MKII dosen't have one? How do you replace the detente pin?
    Users Country Flag

you can also switch on the other 2 detent plungers when you are at 0 deg. This will give you 3 times resistance to turn.
    So you start with 0 deg for one row and ends at 0 deg. Switch on other detent plungers. Switch the nadir adapter. Move the tripod.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    O

On the MKI rotator, there is a little hex screw on the underside that pushes the detente pin up. The MKII dosen't have one? How do you replace the detente pin?
    He is using the RD3L with EZ-leveler II build in.

Nick

Fanotec

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    He is using the RD3L with EZ-leveler II build in.

Nick
    Oh. I'm so out of date. Time stopped for me at the NN3 MKI.
+ Reply to Thread