just start out 360 panorama, why it come out not straight?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: just start out 360 panorama, why it come out not straight?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. just start out 360 panorama, why it come out not straight?

hey. I am new to 360 panorama. right now I could not do it successfully.
    please take a look of my pic. the vertical line is not straight. it is a mess. they all tilt to left I think.

I am using canon 7d + samyang 8mm fisheye + Nodal Ninja 4 + PTGui pro

I am taking 6 pic a row +1 up and 1 down and 1 for patch tripod

I do not know what is the problem. is this due to problem of calibrate head or the wrong way of shooting or ???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7156 Panoramas.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	758  
    Last edited by liukaitc; 01-09-2013 at 09:08 PM.
    Users Country Flag

Please send the set of pic plus project file via www.ge.tt to test it.

Best way to help you.

Heinz

You can level the panorama using vertical line control points to identify features that should be vertical in the output image. This takes less than a minute and is normally done during the stitching of the camera images, but you can also level an already stitched panorama in exactly the same way by starting a new PTGui project with the equirectangular image. See http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm .
    John
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by liukaitc View Post
    hey. I am new to 360 panorama. right now I could not do it successfully.
    please take a look of my pic. the vertical line is not straight. it is a mess. they all tilt to left I think.

I am using canon 7d + samyang 8mm fisheye + Nodal Ninja 4 + PTGui pro

I am taking 6 pic a row +1 up and 1 down and 1 for patch tripod

I do not know what is the problem. is this due to problem of calibrate head or the wrong way of shooting or ???
    Have you tried "Straighten Panorama" in the Panoramic Editor?

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Have you tried "Straighten Panorama" in the Panoramic Editor?

Nick
    hey, the straighten panorama does not work, but I tried level panorama. that works. seems now it looks fine

Quote Originally Posted by liukaitc View Post
    hey, the straighten panorama does not work, but I tried level panorama. that works. seems now it looks fine
    Assuming you used the Align Images button, the straighten function would make no difference to the panorama because the align images function already runs the straighten option by default. There is an important distinction to be made between straightening and levelling the panorama:
    Straighten panorama: When you shoot a row of images using a panorama head, each image will be shot at the same pitch and roll settings - just different yaw angles. The straighten function rotates the panorama into a position that equalises the pitch and roll values of the images. Now these pitch and roll settings are relative to the vertical axis of rotation of the panorama head. So if the panorama head is perfectly levelled, with its axis truly vertical, the straightened panorama will also be level - i.e. the horizon will be level and straight, and the verticals will be vertical. If the panorama head is not exactly level, the panorama will not be level. The horizon will wave up and down and the verticals will not be vertical (as in your panorama).
    Level panorama: This ignores the pitch and roll settings and rotates the panorama into a position where the vertical features marked with control points are properly vertical. In this state, the horizon will also be automatically flat and horizontal. (The converse also applies - get the horizon flat using horizontal line control points, and the verticals will be vertical).
    Clearly the level panorama option is by far the most reliable method to use when there are good vertical features present in the image. For landscape subjects where there are no vertical features and the horizon is not clearly visible, then the straighten panorama option is invaluable, and it then pays to take extra care in levelling the panorama head. Another option is to level the camera itself for the first shot, and then fix its yaw, pitch and roll parameters at zero when the images are optimized.
    John

thanks for all the reply. help me understand the software a lot

I see some disconnection on the line. is that a problem of calibration of head?

right? take a look..
    looks straight now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7156 Panorama finals.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	759  
    Users Country Flag

Looks right now.

Now safe this project as Template in case you have a good max distance. Next time you stitch a new project, use apply template and check if it "falls together "with out great corrections. You find explanations under Help in general. You can also try F1 tab when you use a special part of the software.

Heinz
+ Reply to Thread