Ask for confirmation of my R10 combo

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ask for confirmation of my R10 combo

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Ask for confirmation of my R10 combo

Question

First of all, thanks for coming here to help!

About my rig:
    Canon 60D
    Canon 5D Mark II
    Sigma 8mm fisheye f/3.5
    A carbon fiber tripod (middle pole diameter: 18mm)

What I wish to do
    I want to take a 360x180 panorama for museum use. I will take these shots mainly in a small space (i.e. interior of a temple) and also outdoor. Accuracy would be my first priority, that's why I'm here.. I need to take these pictures very fast and accurate, including zenith and nadir. SO that I can stick that seamlessly in PTGUI and create a spherical panorama.

What I order
    1. R10 Static Tilt Head & Rotator Mini Package
    Select Degree Tilt
    7.5 Degrees
    Select Ring Clamp
    Sigma 8mm f/3.5 f/4 & Sigma 15mm (Canon)
    Select Rotator Mini
    90°
    2. R1/R10 Rail Stop for use with Lens Ring Plate for Sigma 8mm F3.5 Canon Mount 0°/ 7.5° 4 stops
    3. R1/R10 Zenith / Nadir Adapter
    4. Quick Mount Mini Adapter System

My questions are:
    1. Will these equipment suffice for my use? Do they really work together? Because there are so many options and I have read a lot already. I still want to make very sure before I make this order.
    2. How to use the R1/R10 Zenith / Nadir Adapter to get a perfect zenith/nadir shot, I don't quite get it reading the description there.
    3. Do I need to order any extra accessories, i.e. EZ-Leveller II, RD4,8?
    4. I have seen the MKII can do similar job, are these choices suit me best?

It's urgent. I hope I can make the order today. Thanks a lot!!
    Users Country Flag

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Because you have to take a lot of Nadir and Zenith shots, your combo will give you a lot of work to shoot your set as well as being less precise. You have to work with center column and move the tripod to shoot with the Nadir Adapter to get camera to old NPP.
    2. ok. 4.Does not work with Mini Rotator.

A possibility to shoot and extra Zenith will give you a picture with the center of the lens, +7.5° is taken from the outer circles of the lens. Zenith shots inside are more difficult than outside. Ceiling is much closer to the lens than the sky.

I'd choose for R1-S, with Nadir Adapter for NN3,NN4,NN5 etc. The lens ring works in Upper Rotator clamp. You can shoot Zenith and Nadir1 shot in NPP without changing system. Open up Nadir Adapter, move aside and shoot Nadir2.

RD5 - there is now more a RD4 Rotator - and RD8 will help you in case you like to shoot with longer focal lenses. They work with Quick Mount Mini System.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6417.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	734Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6393.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	732Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6399.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	733Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6534.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	735Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6537.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	736

You have to think about your needs in the future. Do I like to shoot with longer lenses. What settings do I need for these lenses.

Right now, the R1-S will fit best at the moment. I always use EZ-Leveller II except on poles.

Feel free to ask,
    I try to answer during the day for further questions.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 01-01-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks so much.

R1-S seems a lot suitable for me. And you are right, I might need a more adaptable rig. Let say if I shoot with 16-35 or 35mm, I better go for RD5/RD8, am I right? And RD8 is currently sold out.

My new shopping list:
    1. Nodal Ninja RS-1 (should i go for RM4/RD5?)
    2. Nadir Adapter for NN3 NN4 NN5
    3. EZ Leveler II with Case / RD3L 6-8-10 EZ Leveler II (Which mounting kit should I use? or is this compatible?)
    4. Quick Mount Mini Adapter System (Do I really need this for using it on tripod?)

Please help me choose.

Quote Originally Posted by muitommy View Post
    1. Nodal Ninja RS-1 (should i go for RM4/RD5?)
    RD-5 will give you lot more flexibility as it includes all useful settings for fisheye lenses, the only drawback is a littel more weight compared to RM4 !

2. Nadir Adapter for NN3 NN4 NN5
    Useful if you want to shoot nadir without footprint and ease your stitching process :)

3. EZ Leveler II with Case / RD3L 6-8-10 EZ Leveler II (Which mounting kit should I use? or is this compatible?)
    RD3L is only useful for NN3/4/5, not for RS-1. You should go with EZ-Leveller II, it'll help you save time to get your pano stitched levelled quickly and easily, save time during stitching process all the more if you shoot outside panos where no straight vertical or horizontal lines might be present, making it difficult to level panorama on computer !

4. Quick Mount Mini Adapter System (Do I really need this for using it on tripod?)
    Mainly useful on pole, on tripod, you'll go as fast by unscrewing the whole setup of the tripod ;)

Vincèn

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com
    Users Country Flag

BTW: Do you already own a lens ring?

Heinz

Not yet. Which one should I get, since I can only find r1/r10's les ring for the fisheye.
    And do I need to get lens ring for my super wide angle zoom aka 16-35 too (just for fun)?
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vincèn View Post
    RD3L is only useful for NN3/4/5, not for RS-1. You should go with EZ-Leveller II, it'll help you save time to get your pano stitched levelled quickly and easily, save time during stitching process all the more if you shoot outside panos where no straight vertical or horizontal lines might be present, making it difficult to level panorama on computer !
    The RS1 can be attached to RD3L via a Quick Mount Mini Adapter. ;-)
    nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Hey Nick,

I have sent you a mail. How could I buy it from you?
+ Reply to Thread