D800, 16mm fisheye and R1

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: D800, 16mm fisheye and R1

Share/Bookmark
  1. D800, 16mm fisheye and R1

G'day all ,

I am looking to purchase the R1 for my D800/shaved 10.5mm fisheye combo. I would like to know if anyone has any experience using this head with a D800/16mm fisheye setup?

I understand it is single row. However, does the camera roll feature mean we can still create a sphere using the 16mm fisheye? I am guessing it could be possible to tilt the lens up at the 7.5 or 12.5 degree setting and roll the camera (say 60 degrees) and only have to deal with a nadir patch.

Can we use the 10.5 ring for the 16mm fisheye? They seem very similar?

Any other general comments about using this head would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Morten
    Users Country Flag

Hi Morten and welcome to the forum,

What do you like to shoot, real estate etc, and on a Monopod, Pole or Tripod?

Tilting up with +7.5° already gives you a big Nadir Hole. Maybe Vincen from skivr has had some time to check the 10.5 on D800.

http://www.nodalninja.com/qr/lens-ri...uild-chart/33/

You see that both lenses 10.5 and 16 use LR4. But they have different plastic inserts. So you can order one set and an extra plastic insert for the other lens.

http://www.nodalninja.com/qr/r1-r10/...ltimate-r1/17/ Because of the different body design of the lens you see you need different inserts.

In total, in case you like to shoot more sphericals, I'd have a look to R1-S instead of R1. You can use it with Nadir Adapter for NN3,NN4,NN5. You need the normal lens ring as well. It is used in vertical rail clamp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6534.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	720Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6537.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	719Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6417.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	721Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6393.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	723Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6399.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	722

Pics ©2012 Nodal Ninja

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 11-17-2012 at 02:11 AM.
  3. D800, 16mm fisheye and R1

Thanks so much Heinz, those images are excellent to show the differences between R1 and R1S. Perhaps, like most of us I shoot quite a variation of panoramas. www.trueview.com.au

I am finding that for 80% of our work the D800 plus shaved 10.5 is quite adequate (currently use Adjuste MkII). I can share some panos if people are interested. You can achieve a 11000 x 5500 equirectangle with just 4 shots around tilted about 5 degrees up to miss the tripod and give extra details in the zenith. Only the very top and bottom of our sphere suffer some softness. generally, as there is no detail there it is not an issue. Lastly, I have found stitching to be a breeze when dealing with a single row image.

My focus with the R1 is to reduce the size and setup time. The R1 looks ideal for this. It would just be a bonus if I could also use the 16mm with this setup. If I only have to purchase the plastic insert I will give that a try.

Morten
    Users Country Flag

TrueView
    Don't if this will help, but - I use the D800 and the 16mm fisheye with the M1-L; have the R1 but reserving its use to the Sigma 8 mm circular fisheye.

Quote Originally Posted by Trueview View Post
    However, does the camera roll feature mean we can still create a sphere using the 16mm fisheye? I am guessing it could be possible to tilt the lens up at the 7.5 or 12.5 degree setting and roll the camera (say 60 degrees)
    Rolling the camera in this way will give you full coverage at the zenith. The nadir hole will be quite large at around 60 degrees, but star shaped like this:

John
    Users Country Flag

Hi Morten,

http://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/Le...uild-Chart.pdf

http://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/R1_QRG.pdf

You just have to purchase another insert ring. Both use LR4 and same LR35 plate.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 01-25-2013 at 04:11 AM.

I just shaved the hood off my 10.5 and my R1 is scheduled to be delivered this afternoon. I'm eager to mount this up to my D800 and i'll let you know how it goes. From the quick shots I did without the NN, I think this combo is going to be pretty awesome.
+ Reply to Thread