Promote control for better resoults.

Thread: Promote control for better resoults.

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Promote control for better resoults.

I'm wondering how bracketing works in Mirror Lock-up mode while using Promote control, is camera releasing shutter through all bracketing sequence while mirror is up to avoid shaking?

On my Nikon D700 when I'm shooting bracketed photos for HDR I have exposure delay mode on. Because of this shutter release after one second after mirror is up and close just before mirror is down. I'm doing this in cl mode using interval timer shooting so all bracketing sequence id done in a one row.

I see only two disadvantages of using this. One is 1s delay between photos in bracketing sequence and second is need to click few buttons few times until bracketing sequence starts (I have interval timer shooting under custom button but any way after getting interval timer shooting menu there is a need to make few clicks after camera starts taking photos).

How Promote Control improves this workflow if it does, has anybody tried this? Thnx for your help.
    Users Country Flag

Leo,

That's the sense of mirror up function to avoid shaking. The bigger advantage is the free set of EV which is beyond camera's own settings. +-2 or 3EV for example. Or to shoot a lot of pics with 0.3 EV steps with 20 pics for example to get a "fine tuned" sunset set up with exposure for dark and very light changes in the clouds for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v4MO...hannel&list=UL On top of the black screen you find "all videos", 16. There is one with Nikon Bodies as well. Have a look through. Check specially for HDRI Mode set. At the moment there is focus stacking for some canon cameras only. But they work on it for Nikon bodies as well. So we could add this to our Promote control units as well. Till now this was for free. So for now in case you shoot a lot in low light conditions, Promote Control will help you. To use full function, you need a special extra shutter release cable for D3,D700 etc, all bodies that work with the pin connection like normal remote control cables.

Disadvantage: High price, two cables, and a "big" box. Think of adding the tripod case or the flash shoe adapter to get rid of it fixed to your equipment. But it is worth the price in case you shoot a lot in low light conditions. Plus to look out for focus stacking in the future.

I normal conditions I shoot in Cl mode without delay and raise ISO being afraid to see shaking. Just do some test shots. D700 can stand a lot of ISO before Noise starts. Same as you, I hate spending a lot of time waiting and pressing a lot of buttons. We had discussions on different forums about mirror up position would be always be needed!? From special canon guys which did not like Nikon. Just take a set of shots in normal light conditions without delay in CL and CH mode. Stitch your pano and have a look to recognize problems because of shaking. I have more problems with moving tries or waves.

It is good to try to solve problems in theory and follow the rules. But sometimes real practical life may solve it. So test it. What does Dennis always say: don't look for numbers, in case you like your stitched pano and there are no faults in it, just go with a max distance > 2.

My promote shutter release cable does not work at the moment. So I can not test D700 for a demonstration.

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Leo,

I was able to re check D700. What happens in Promote Control HDR Mirror up function: Your camera has to be set to MUP position on the ring on the left top side. Once you press the start button on promote, mirror goes up and shutter acts with delay, then mirror goes down again for every single step. Older Nikon Bodies do not have a Mirror Up function to come up at the beginning of a bracketing set and go down when the set is done. But this helps to reduce vibration. The "Mirror Up function" throughout the whole bracketting set is available with the New D800/E and D4. I have talked to NIKON Pro Service today to ask about this.

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Leo,

Just an info video about the workflow of promote control: http://ge.tt/42JsTDQ/v/0

Cheers,
    Heinz

Heinz thanks a lot for this info and movie. Looks like there is no point for spending such a money for this device in my case. It behaves exactly the same as camera in exposure delay mode regards to mirror. Needs to wait for Nikon D800 and play for now with ISO settings to minimize shutter time ... Can you tell me what's in your case the longest shutter speed which steel keeps mirror shake away from being noticeable on a taken photo? I will test it on my own - I'm just curious ... BTW sorry for my English :)

promote remote has lots of great features you cant get otherwise, time lapse hdr etc, but enabling mirror up on nikon D800 for entire bracket series without promote is easy, this should work for other cameras w similar controls as well

set your cameras bracketing as desired, 5 shots 1 stop apart or whatever

turn the drive mode dial to Cl or Ch, NOT Mup (Cl/Ch will enable multiple shots w one press of shutter button)

make sure the live view switch is in camera position, and hit the live view button (mirror up is locked while live view is enabled)

now one continuous press of the cameras shutter release button will fire an entire bracket series w mirror up, using a remote release w bulb mode like the one below will let you trigger an entire bracket sequence with mirror locked in up position with a single press of the remote, and it is also very quiet in this mode :)

i recommend using a wireless remote like the Pixel Oppilas RW-221, easily avail for about $20 on amazon & ebay, you can also get a simple 2.5mm-2.5mm cable at radio shack etc to use this remote with the promote control

sam
    Last edited by Sam Rohn; 10-26-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Sam Rohn :: 360° Panoramic Photography :: Location Scout :: New York City :: www.samrohn.com

PanoPress :: WordPress Plugin for 360° Panoramas in Flash & HTML5 :: www.panopress.org