Tokina 16-28 for 360 VR Panoramas

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tokina 16-28 for 360 VR Panoramas

Share/Bookmark
  1. Tokina 16-28 for 360 VR Panoramas

I have a 5D mk ii and a Tokina 16-28. I see that the Nikon 14-24 is an acceptable lens for VR panoramas and the Tokina is supposedly very similar to this lens.

From what I have read, the longer the focal length the better the resolution but the more pictures you have to take. I am tempted to pick up a Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG but since I have the Tokina and using this theory I can get better quality photos in the end it would seem to be redundant. I am gathering all my info from many places at this point trying to find the answers to my questions and I could use some advice...

Does anyone know where I can find how many images I should plan to take with this lens?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Tokina 16-28 for 360 VR panoramas?

That and is the Nodal Ninja 4 the best panorama head for the 5D mk ii and the Tokina 16-28?

Thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by counterpoint View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find how many images I should plan to take with this lens?
    See the lens database at http://www.vrwave.com/ . The specific Tokina lens is not listed, but you can find a 16-35mm lens in the Canon section.
    John
    Users Country Flag

Hi,

to learn about the number of shots you need around you can use Frank's calculator: http://www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc_de.htm

@zoom 16 6 shots around give an overlap of 19%, which normally should be 25%, 8 around give you 39%. You have to shoot 2 rows similar to the Nikkor 14-24 @zoom 16, around zoom >=24 you might need 3 rows.

I too tried to get info about NPP of this lens. But I could not find any. But this might be the problem. NN4 has a shorter upper rail than the old NN5 which is discontinued.

http://www.nodalninja.com/nn4/nodal-...ploded-view/3/ As you can see the upper rail of NN4 is limited to a max URS of 115mm. Chapter 3, 3.2.2

Nikkor 14-24 needs settings from 122mm - 112mm from zoom 14 - 24 and can be used on NN5. NN4 upper rail would be too short. In case your tokina lens is similar to 14-24, you would need a M1-L.

For the rest NN4 would be ok. So try to make a deal with your reseller, to test the NN4 and in case it does not fit your lens and it is undamaged, to change it to M1-L.

But may be your lens will work with NN4. There can not be a better hint for you right now. Just wanted to tell you that there might be a problem.

This lens is good for quiet places in calm conditions of wind or waves. For more busy places with a lot of people walking around you need a fisheye to get around with one row and 4 or 6 shots.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 09-07-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks for all the info hindenhaag!

I travel... ALOT! I never get the atmosphere in a cathedral from a wide angle shot. It's impossible. I figure since I have the Tokina 16-28 and it is such a fantastic wide angle lens that it would take incredible panoramas but because of it's size and weight buying a M1-L at $760.00 seems a bit much to spend on a head when I have never done panoramas before. But then again buying a Sigma 15mm 2.8 and a nodal ninja NN3 is still more expensive than using my existing Tokina.

I am going to send a mail to support and ask for their advice on the lens :-)

Wait... why don't I just get the NN5 with RD16 (Factory Irregular) in discontinued models?
    Users Country Flag

That would solve the question. Will serve all your needs.

Heinz

I just received a response from Nodal Ninja support:

I can confirm that Nodal Ninja 4 is perfect with your camera and lens combination. NN4 is good for lenses up to a 105mm equivalent focal length.

Regards,

Mauro Contrafatto
    Nodal Ninja
    Customer Service Manager

:-)
+ Reply to Thread