NN5L wtih D3s and Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 OR Sigma 8mm f/3.5

Thread: NN5L wtih D3s and Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 OR Sigma 8mm f/3.5

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN5L wtih D3s and Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 OR Sigma 8mm f/3.5

I am going out of town and of course want to take panoramas. I am also the designated family photographer. I would really like to be able to take them using the 24-70 instead of the 8mm for two reasons. 1) I won't be able to drag an extra lens and 2) I have not been really happy with how sharp my images are on the 8mm.

It seems like the 24-70 would be the best option, and I am very pleased with it in general (though I have not yet attempted panoramas with it). I *think* I can get everything I need/want with that lens if I tape it at 24 mm for the panoramas. Is my thinking flawed on this?

-Stephani

Quote Originally Posted by smhill View Post
    I am going out of town and of course want to take panoramas. I am also the designated family photographer. I would really like to be able to take them using the 24-70 instead of the 8mm for two reasons. 1) I won't be able to drag an extra lens and 2) I have not been really happy with how sharp my images are on the 8mm.

It seems like the 24-70 would be the best option, and I am very pleased with it in general (though I have not yet attempted panoramas with it). I *think* I can get everything I need/want with that lens if I tape it at 24 mm for the panoramas. Is my thinking flawed on this?

-Stephani
    Hi Stephani,
    IMO take the 8mm as well (only a few added ounces). If you're taking panoramas with people you want as few images as possible. The Sigma 8mm is a little on the soft side however a bit of post production and you can sharpen it up to very acceptable levels. Shooting at 24mm requires a lot more work not only at the shoot but afterwards as well in post.
    Bill

Thanks, Bill. I will figure out how to take it with me.

I was previously shooting with a D80. I haven't popped the D3s onto my NN5L yet. Do you have the rail settings for the NN5L, D3s, and Sigma 8mm f/3.5 that I can use as a starting point and tweak if necessary?

Thanks-Stephani
    Users Country Flag

Hi Stephani,

LRS for D3 is 89mm on NN5, URS for Sigma 8mm/f3.5 78mm for 4 shots around. 24-70mm is not one of our favorites to shoot panos. It needs a lot of pics. Good for landscape and quiet places.

Because I had the same feeling about sharpness of the Sigma 8mm, I stepped over to 10.5 for my DX bodies. My normal fisheye lens for D3 is 16mm/f2.8, needs 6 shots around. In case of very busy places I shaved my 10.5 and I can use it for 4 shots around.

Next step would be 14-24mm/f2.8.

A cheaper variation is the Samyang 8mm/f3.5 AE for around 300€. For me personally the optics are better than Sigma 8mm. Focus is manual, but does not matter. Just set it to 1m and off you go. In PTGui set it to 9mm full frame.

Feel free to ask,
    Heinz

I have used the 10.5 with a D300. I put those raw images up against the raw images that I got with the 8 mm on the same body and I did prefer it. Unfortunately, the 10.5 was a rental and I had to send it back. I haven't tried any other lenses since that little test a few years ago. I have begun to give serious thought to selling the 8mm. I love the D3s and the 8mm just doesn't do it justice.

Thank you for the LRS and the information on the Samyang!

-Stephani