Nick, what do you think about making an M4/3 to NEX adapter?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nick, what do you think about making an M4/3 to NEX adapter?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Nick, what do you think about making an M4/3 to NEX adapter?

The only M4/3 to NEX adapter I know of is reported to not allow focusing at infinity when using an M4/3 lens on a NEX (E-mount) camera. The Samyang 7.5mm M4/3 fisheye gives the most desirable cropped fisheye image. It seems to be a very good lens and it's cheap. But people have reported difficulties adapting the lens to get focus at infinity.

Now that you have CNC capability, it seems to me (what do I know?) that it wouldn't be hard to carve a one piece M4/3 to E-mount adapter with the right dimensions out of one piece of aluminum. What do you think?
    Users Country Flag

The adapter will require very high accuracy and precision. We will look for what extra tools or data are needed before we start the new project.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Nick, I just looked at the M4/3 to NEX adapters on eBay and they all say they allow focusing at infinity. I don't know if that's true or not but if it is true, then maybe making one is not a good idea.
    Users Country Flag

something that focus at infinity at 50mm fl or longer may not focus at infinity with a much shorter focal length, eg fisheye.
    I see novoflex does not have an M4/3 to NEX adapter. That may be a good hint.
    http://www.novoflex.com/de/info/down..._2011_web.pdf/
    People using the adapter on Samyang 7.5mm need to shim off the samyang mount a bit to focus at infinity.

Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 07-22-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Fanotec

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    something that focus at infinity at 50mm fl or longer may not focus at infinity with a much shorter focal length, eg fisheye.
    People using the adapter on Samyang 7.5mm need to shim off the samyang mount a bit to focus at infinity.

Nick
    The need to modify the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye to make it work on the NEX is why I haven't bought one. Those that can make it work have made some very nice panos with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post

Nick
    I was laying semi-conscious on my couch, looking at the ceiling as I am want to do and I had another thought. What about a two piece adapter? A 4/3'd side and an E-mount side with the two pieces threaded with standard filter threads so that one screws into the other. Then if a lens was slightly out of focus at infinity, the focus could be adjusted and fine tuned by turning screwing one of the pieces in or out. Then a simple lock screw could lock it in place.

And maybe then you could make only the "other" side to the adapter for other mounts. Sort of like when you use a different plastic insert on your lens rings.
    Users Country Flag

I think the issue is the difference in flange difference is just 2mm or less.
    The part protruding from lens mount is probably more than 2mm.
    Nick

Fanotec

Kipon also feels the manufacturing difficulties are insurmountable.

----------
    Firstly thank you for your interest about our KIPON adapters.

Consider about the thickness for m4/3-NEXadapter,having high risk to drop the lens,we gave up to make a production for this model.

Pls understand.

Thanks.

Ivan zhang

Shanghai Transvision

> I'm looking for your micro 4/3 to NEX body adapter and can not find it on your web site. Do you make one?
    >
  9. M4/3 to NEX adapter

Users Country Flag

Now that Samyang has the 8mm f2.8 for NEX, the demand for adapters is likely to be limited. Now that those are available, a NEX-5N looks very attractive for a lightweight system.
+ Reply to Thread