R1 NPP Setting for Sigma 8mm F3.5 Canon and Nikon

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R1 NPP Setting for Sigma 8mm F3.5 Canon and Nikon

Share/Bookmark
  1. R1 NPP Setting for Sigma 8mm F3.5 Canon and Nikon

Users Country Flag

I have find some time to determine the optimal setting for Sigma 8mm F3.5 Canon and Nikon on R1.
    Here is a table to show the settings.
    https://fanotec-public.s3.amazonaws....nd%20Nikon.pdf

I would appreciate if users can test the validity by making a pano using my value(s).
    I will make integrated rail plate for selected tilt angles. I will give 10 free copies for responders (one each) of each mount. $10 in value.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Nick, I think there is an error in the figure given for Nikon 0 degrees, 4 shots around. 3.8 should probably be 2.8 as the Canon and Nikon figures ought to differ by 0.6 (approx) throughout.
    John
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    Nick, I think there is an error in the figure given for Nikon 0 degrees, 4 shots around. 3.8 should probably be 2.8 as the Canon and Nikon figures ought to differ by 0.6 (approx) throughout.
    John

Hi John,

Thx for the input. The sigma 8mm for nikon uses LRP45X which extends 1cm to the back. So extra value of "1" is added compared to other LRPs. This plate is used for Tokina 10-17mm if you still keep it.

Nick

Fanotec

Nick, I don't understand your repsonse. I was simply saying that the Nikon figures should be Canon + 0.6. The figure given for Nikon 0 degrees, 4 around is 3.8, whereas it would be expected to be 2.8 on this basis.
    John
    Users Country Flag

opps, you are right. I probably made a mistake in data logging. I will double check.

what a coincidence with LRP45X difference.

Nick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	LRP45X-vs-LRP45.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	609  
    Last edited by nick fan; 07-22-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Fanotec

Are the values for Nikon now correct in the linked table of the first post?
    Users Country Flag

Nick, are the values for Canon still ok, I am using it on a 5d mk11, I have been off sick for a while with damamged knees and have not had much time to play but tomorrow i am off for a few days and want to play panoramas, I will try and do a few while I am in Andorra and see how they compare to my measurements that i currently use.

cheers

Neil
    Users Country Flag

NPP values are "correct" according to my tests.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

What I have found is that the setting depends on where in the image you want to opimize. Removing parallax from the center is a different setting than removing parallax from the top or bottom of the image. Since most of the stuff I shoot with the Sigma 8mm lens is outdoors where there are no features close up I optimize for the bottom. This provides a cleaner Nadir stitch. The number in your chart for the Nikon version tilted up 5 degrees is spot on.

I had one of the first generation R1 heads with the .25 error. That drove me nuts until I figured it out.
    Last edited by DennisS; 08-28-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    Users Country Flag

Can verify npp value setting (1.55) for 4 shots @ +5 on Canon FFS is spot on! Thanks for posting Nick!

I can't access to https://fanotec-public.s3.amazonaws....nd%20Nikon.pdf

I have a Nikon D300 and a Sigma 8mm f3.5, mount on a NN R1 and i think the NNP is 1.85. Is that correct ?

Thanks for your reply :)
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
    I can't access to https://fanotec-public.s3.amazonaws....nd%20Nikon.pdf

I have a Nikon D300 and a Sigma 8mm f3.5, mount on a NN R1 and i think the NNP is 1.85. Is that correct ?

Thanks for your reply :)
    http://www.nodalninja.com/qr/r1-r10/...-and-nikon/31/

Fanotec

Thanks Nick for your reply :)

I have a couple of questions for the NN collective. This is my setup: Nikon D600 (fx), Sigma 8mm f3.5 circular fisheye and now with a NN Ultimate R1 (LRP45X unit).

According to the NN website to do a 2 times around 360, the NPP setting on the R1 should be: 3.925b

My questions are:

1. I thought the gold ring around the sigma 8mm denoted the NP of the lens, if that is the case the 3.925 cmm seems to put the lens almost 1 cmm too far back - is this correct?

2. The website states "b - reinstall the QR clamp with handle pointing right to reduce nadir footprint." Which sound like the whole 'T' section (secured by a black screw and the blue thumb screw) should be removed and installed in the opposite direction. Like in this picture:

Is this correct because if it is, it puts the lens even further back. Or does it mean just reinstalling just the top plate of that 'T' section? (attached via 2 hex screws). Also what difference does it make because I can't see how it would reduce the Nadir footprint - I must be missing something here…

Thanks in advance!
    Users Country Flag

Hi and welcome to the forum,

You only have to turn around the clamp on top fixed with the two hex screws. This will bring back the marks on the clamp by -0.25mm. Bringing the marks backwards will reduce the nadir print.

Check Nick's note from below the thread. http://www.nodalninja.com/qr/r1-r10/...-and-nikon/31/
    The values are lens specific only.

Heinz

BTW: just turn around the QR-Clamp itself, nothing else.
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 12-29-2013 at 10:03 PM.
+ Reply to Thread