Is my software at fault.

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is my software at fault.

Share/Bookmark
  1. Is my software at fault.

About a year ago I processed this pano' quite satisfactorily, now for some reason CS5 doesn't want to know. At the shoot I used a NN5 with my 5D2.

Surely it can't be the hardware, it must be an issue with CS4 ?

I just went to File > Automate > Photomerge and waited for the mess (attachment).

I'd appreciate if someone could suggest what might be at fault.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-07-17 at 17.21.17.png
Views:	126
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	602  
  2. This is a Ptgui pano prior to cropping

Ok I know it must be CS5 because here's a screen shot showing what the pano' would be like if it was processed via PtGui.

To be honest if I can't sort this out I'm just going to give my pano gear away because I don't want to waste my time trying to take a pano if every time I do the damned things won't process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-07-17 at 19.46.55.png
Views:	126
Size:	771.7 KB
ID:	603  

PTGui is a far more capable stitcher than either CS4 or CS5. It's maybe not the best automatic stitcher in the world, but when things fail to work out perfectly, it's usually possible to intervene manually and coax it into producing an excellent result, one way or another. When Photomerge fails to deliver the goods, there's not much you can do to retrieve the situation. You might try the free Microsoft ICE stitcher, which can produce excellent results automatically, though - again - there's little you can do if it doesn't.
    John
    Users Country Flag

Ok I know it must be CS5 because here's a screen shot showing what the pano' would be like if it was processed via PtGui.

To be honest if I can't sort this out I'm just going to give my pano gear away because I don't want to waste my time trying to take a pano if every time I do the damned things won't process.
    Giving away your pano gear because Photoshop cannot stitch is like giving away your car because you cannot parallel park. It is not the pano gear that is causing the issue, it is Photoshop.

Stay with PTGui. It is designed specifically to stitch. Photoshop is not.

If you are having issues with PTGui, PTGui's forum is the place to go to get answers.

Yes I hear you, I'm just getting a bit crabby with pano's. Today I tried to process the shot in PTGui and it completely screwed it up. I've got a feeling it might be my computer, I'm using an old Apple MacBook laptop with 4gb of ram. I'll try to process this on a friends far more powerful computer in a few day's and will come back and let the forum know if it's successful.

I would be very surprised if PTGui behaves any differently on your friend's computer. I can see reasons why any automatic stitcher might have problems stitching these images sucessfully. However, an experienced user would know how to help PTGui produce a good result. If you want to make a set of the images available, I would be happy to have a go at stitching them for you.
    John

Thanks John,

I've sent you a PM.

Kind Regards

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    Giving away your pano gear because Photoshop cannot stitch is like giving away your car because you cannot parallel park. It is not the pano gear that is causing the issue, it is Photoshop.

Stay with PTGui. It is designed specifically to stitch. Photoshop is not.

If you are having issues with PTGui, PTGui's forum is the place to go to get answers.
    I endorse the comments from Denis.
    Hang in there because I am sure that with help from this forum that you will crack it and find the satisfaction in creating panoramas.
    I see that John has offered to look at your images for you and I am sure he will come back with an encouraging solution.

I don't have a lot of experience with Photoshop for a variety of reasons, but a couple of years ago I investigated the different packages including CS5 as one of our Marketing people had a copy and found that I agreed with the poll at:
    http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...ching-software
    with PTGui the leader and Autopano a close second.
    This may be a prejudiced opinion as I have been using PTGui for years, but I think it as actually down to the fact that they were there at the beginning and have evolved with topic and that it is a tool with a specific purpose rather than another in a box of many.
    I also find that PTGui has great Tutorials at:
    http://www.ptgui.com/examples/
    and have found that support from their forum to be excellent and a good source of tips from others questions and posts.
+ Reply to Thread