Putting to use my Classic Nikon 8mm Circular Fisheye

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Putting to use my Classic Nikon 8mm Circular Fisheye

Share/Bookmark
  1. Putting to use my Classic Nikon 8mm Circular Fisheye

Users Country Flag
    I originally used a NN-SPH2L and upgraded about 1.5 yrs ago with the NN5L with RD16. It was large, robust and I figured versitile enough for any situation. Recently I purchased a Nikon D800 amd very much wanted to putting my classic and mint Nikon 8mm circular fisheye to work on a 360 pano. I was told recently that this combination: D800 with the Nikon 8mm Circular Fisheye were incompatible with my NN5L. I'm now left very unhappy? I have not even tied it since it is set for my D300 & Nikon 10.5mm set-up. Any ideas?

It would be better to use a ring mount for that lens anyway. The NN5 would be seen on the shoulder of the image and the lens is probably too big to allow the mounting of the camera in the usual way on the tilt rail.

Quote Originally Posted by ecumd87@hotmail.com View Post
    I was told recently that this combination: D800 with the Nikon 8mm Circular Fisheye were incompatible with my NN5L.
    I imagine that the reason for the supposed incompatibility is the large diameter of the Nikon 8mm f/2.8 lens, which is 123mm. This means the lens overhangs the camera base by around 13mm (estimated from photos of D800). If you mount the camera onto the NN5 using a quick release adapter system, the lens should be clear of the rail. I have my Canon 40D on a Manfrotto QR adapter and that gives a clearance of 33mm from rail to camera bottom, which is ample. It's true that the upper rotator will intrude into the right-hand side of the image, but this shouldn't be too serious and can easily be masked out in PTGui.
    John
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    I imagine that the reason for the supposed incompatibility is the large diameter of the Nikon 8mm f/2.8 lens, which is 123mm. This means the lens overhangs the camera base by around 13mm (estimated from photos of D800). If you mount the camera onto the NN5 using a quick release adapter system, the lens should be clear of the rail. I have my Canon 40D on a Manfrotto QR adapter and that gives a clearance of 33mm from rail to camera bottom, which is ample. It's true that the upper rotator will intrude into the right-hand side of the image, but this shouldn't be too serious and can easily be masked out in PTGui.
    John
    I think adding the battery grip should also solve the issue.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    I think adding the battery grip should also solve the issue.

Nick
    The NN180 might be a good alternative for that combo.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    The NN180 might be a good alternative for that combo.
    That is true.

ecumd87,

If you want, you can get an NN180 from me for the price of RD4 alone. $129.95+$15 shipping. The last unit in my shipping center.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

FYI, the Nikon D800 with Nikon 8mm f/2.8 circular fisheye and NN5L work great together! No issues at all!
+ Reply to Thread